Chapter 31

"What?" I cried out, pushing myself in a sitting position. Anger and shock fueled my powerless body, and the pain in my head was in the back of my mind. "Why didn't you try?" I shouted.

"We wanted to," Elliot began, "Jonah went to get you on his own and I knew he wouldn't be able to defend you by himself if he'd carry you. You could have been killed back there if I tried to save Mila."

"Guess who is going to be killed now?" I snapped back as I felt Josh's hands grip my shoulders. There was no way he could calm me down. Not now.

"He knew you must be saved," Jonah said, stepping into my view, his face in a scowl. "We aren't sure they will kill her."

"No we aren't," I spat in rage, "we're not sure at all. For all we know, she may be dead!"

I couldn't lose Mila. It felt like a hole was plunged through my heart. Sister or not, I needed her.

"Calm down Jauda, I know you're upset but this isn't the time to be fighting amongst ourselves. You're seriously injured and I am fairly confident you don't want your head to become worse."

I stood up, fighting Josh's hands that protested.

"I must find her." I said dangerously slow.

"You must rest first," Jonah replied just as stubbornly.

I felt my hands ball up into fists. I felt my magic growing and I knew I needed to calm down before I blew everyone up.

Looking away, I took a deep breath, calming myself. It's going to be okay. I will find her. They want me, not her. Then I suddenly realized with a start. They think she is me. What will they do to her?

I felt my hands shake with fear. I needed to get away. I needed to prepare.

I realized everyone was staring at me expectantly. They were wondering what my next move against Jonah's remark would be. Before I could react, I felt a probing at my mind. Grace.

Jay?

What? I thought, hoping the message would go through to her the same way she did so to me.

What are you going to do?

I wasn't sure what I should say. I just knew I needed to block out my intentions. I don't know.

Remember, Josh is here. The prince doesn't know about your magic.

I know. I was tired, and desperately wanting to just go to sleep.

I can help you rest.

Don't you dare. I felt exposed with Grace being able to listen to everything I thought.

Listen Jay, we can save Mila but you must rest first. Otherwise nothing good can come out of it. They will catch you and hurt you both.

You don't know anything. I slammed at what felt like Grace's conscious. Maybe I could push her out of my mind. Grace fought back.

Don't Jay! You've got to listen to Jonah! You are in no condition to go!

Remembering how Jonah had taught me to reach for my ball of magic within me, I felt for it, and only slightly probed it, allowing the magic to soak through me and into my mind, pushing Grace mercilessly out of my mind and making a large shield around my brain.

I only remember seeing Grace collapse before I blacked out as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was furious with Jauda's stupidity right now. I knew she was in pain, but she should know herself that she was in no condition to go into battle. I sensed that Grace had probed Jauda's mind so I watched quietly as Jauda seemed to be talking to Grace through telepathy.