Chapter 15

"Wait! Stop!" Josh protested, jumping in front of me.

I could feel my whole body shaking with fear. A single drop of sweat ran down my face.

On command, the knights stopped.

Lord Heath sighed. "She isn't the girl you think she is, Josh," he insisted.

Josh turned to me. "She wouldn't try to kill anyone though. She cares for Jonah... And how the heck would she have magic?"

I couldn't meet his eyes. I had to leave. There was no question about it. I couldn't lie to all the people I knew. Not to mention, I thought regretfully, if Jonah dies I'll feel like the worst person in the world. If Jonah lives, well, everyone will know the truth and everyone would hate me.

I had to leave. Where to?

"She was the only one with Jonah when he was hurt!" Lord Heath protested. "She possesses magic Jonah wasn't simply hit by a shovel or anything!"

"That's crazy!" Josh cried out. "I know her! She must have split ways with Jonah and he was attacked by Damen!"

I snuck toward the window. I had no idea how far the landing was, but either way, I had no choice.

I glanced back as I inched toward the window. Fear plunged through me when I saw Lord Heath's eyes flash at me.

"Get her! She is trying to escape!"

The knights raced forward and I flinched back. I had no defense weapon!

Josh drew his sword. "Stand back or you fight me!" He shouted bravely.

The knights hesitated. It was enough for me to race toward the window and fling it open. Josh looked back at me swiftly before drawing back closer to me and the window.

"Go," Josh whispered, "I'll be able to fend them off for moments. Leave the grounds. I'll catch up with you later."

I'm a murderer Josh; I will not allow you to put yourself in danger by being around me anymore. You're a good guy. I hoped he would never lose the ability to see the best in people.

Turning, I climbed out the open window as I heard swords clang together. I knew they wouldn't hurt Josh since he was Lord Heath's son, but I felt a bit concerned anyway.

I looked down in horror. I must have been on the second floor because the landing was higher then I thought!

I adjusted my eyes to the darkness, looking for something I could land in. A pile of hay in a cart would have to do.

I jumped, feeling my heart leap in fear of my landing. I landed, piercing through the hay and twisting my ankle on the wooden floor. I felt sick when I felt my ankle pop.

Crawling out of the cart, I tried to land on my two feet to fall immediately when I put weight on my ankle.

I gasped, screwing my eyes with pain. I thought of my horse form. Three legs were better then one.

I could feel the change, and immediately after I felt my legs form, I stood, ignoring the protest of my muscles still shifting.

I raced toward the woods, hobbling on three legs.

I glanced back. Torches were lit and metal clanged as the racket I'd left behind descended the building.

They wouldn't have seen me change into a horse! If I can just leave without the stable hands seeing, I will be fine! Wait! I am glowing purple! I'd better get out of here before they see me!

I broke through the tree line successfully. Going through the woods, flashes of memories came back of the last time I was chased by people who bore hunger in their eyes to kill me. Then I knew where I was going to go. I needed to see my foster parents again, even if they didn't want to see me. I needed to know if they knew I would become a monster and if that was the reason they acted how they did.