Chapter 5

Tearing through some bushes, I tripped blindly over a fallen log, hitting my head on the earth with a hard thump. Dizzily on all fours, I turned my head to listen for any sound indicating that I was being chased. I was. The sound of the crunching leaves a little ways back was all I needed to hear to know they were gaining ground, and fast.

I stumbled back to my feet and after a last glance to make sure they weren't on my heels yet, I continued at a tired jog. Sweat clung to my whole body and my back stung from peeling scabs. Breathing harshly, I continued to burst through branches and weeds, not caring if I got scratched as I was exhausted.

Glancing down at my glowing hands, I stopped sharply and took a deep breathe, calming my quivering muscles enough to bring my magic back into a controllable state. Once controlled, my hands were lost in the dark and I knew I was done for.

Wiping away my last tears, I tried to control my breathing. Leaning on a nearby tree, I sank to the ground, gasping for breath. I curled up my knees to my chest and buried my head in my arms. I desperately wanted to sleep off this horrible day but it seemed that it would never come to an end. The distant sounds came closer and all I could do was wait for them to arrive. The brush of the bushes and beating crackling of leaves slowing down made me peek out my head to observe the man before me. He stood above, reflecting the half moon opposite of him. He slowly drew closer to me.

"Jauda?"

It was Josh.

"What?" I asked through my voice that now turned crackly with dehydration. I realized I had no idea when I ate last.

"It's okay," Josh whispered.

"Is it?" I challenged back. I stood up slowly, ignoring the burning in my legs. "If it was okay then why would I be running from you?"

"You tell me."

"I tell you? I'll tell you. You are all the same! Once I've done something terrible who cares anymore? NO ONE!" I forced back my tears. It hurt more then I thought to say those words.

"I care," Josh insisted softly.

"Yeah, you care for every girl that goes by. You care until you're tired of them. Especially when they don't swoon back! You care for your family! Your real family! No one else! You care, until you find out something terrible. You don't care, I guaranteed you!"

"Jauda, it's not like that, I-"

"I DON'T CARE JOSH CAUSE GUESS WHAT? I DON'T NEED TO!" I felt my hand enclose over a stick. All the pain in my past, and the loneliness for ten years dumped over me all at once. I didn't realize I was this dissatisfied with my life. Pushing back my powers once again before they exploded out of me, I stepped forward dangerously. "Now listen here. You will not see me again. Leave. Me. Alone."

"I don't understand..."

How would I get my own master off my shoulders? I took a deep breathe. I was overreacting. All I needed to do was make it through the night without being killed by Josh or Jonah and then I can turn into a horse and find somewhere else to live. Or maybe a herd. I knew I wasn't going to find any place satisfying so all I would live for is staying alive as a horse. And I knew exactly how I'll get Josh off my back for good.

Quickly, I charged forward, swinging my stick violently for Josh's head. Josh ducked instinctively, gripping the end of my stick and swinging me around to where I collapsed by the force at his feet. I gasped at his strength as the stick was ripped out of my hands.

Backing away from him quickly I knew I had no choice but to use magic on him. I released my hold on my magic, allowing it to flow quickly to my fingertips until-