Chapter 11

I was now a horse again, awaiting my dress fitting tomorrow night with Grace. I'd came back feeling bitter that my time with my official friend Josh was over to only realize I still have Grace as a friend, and Jonah, even though they nagged me more then played with me.

I had acted bitter once Josh left, insisting that this dance was terrible news, but Jonah only gave me this weird smile that I couldn't quite figure out. People are confusing.

The dance was two days away so I decided I'd need to keep today and tomorrow with Rain. I needed to find something entertaining enough to pass the days. If I couldn't keep busy, I'd become impatient. They had decided to breed Rain with a stallion though since Grace was okay with riding another horse, which I thoroughly complained about to her last night when I heard the news. Rain, now only a little pregnant, had become lazy and moody so it was almost better to stay away from her. So I did.

I gazed over the fence at the palace yard, admiring the bird songs as Josh had described to me the other day. When I just relaxed and listened, they were really pretty, especially on such a fine day of sunshine and a small, cool breeze to keep me from overheating which happened often with my black coat.

Rain grazed under the apple tree in the middle of the field, leaving me by myself. I noticed out of the corner of my eye some movement. Josh was walking over with Sam.

My heart leaped. Maybe I'll be able to spend the day with him today too even if I was a horse again!

"So I'll meet you by the entrance?" Josh asked Sam.

"Yep, I'll be there once I've tacked up Thunder!"

My heart leaped. I was spending the day with Josh and Thunder! Two of my friends!

I raced enthusiastically to the part of the fence that opened, prancing as Josh let himself in and clipped a lead rope onto my halter.

"Hey, girl," Josh greeted me as he rubbed my neck.

I nuzzled his shoulder affectionately. I was a lot cuddlier in horse form then in human form.

Josh led me to the stables and began to tack me up.

As he lifted the saddle onto my back, I flicked my ears around at the fast approaching footsteps. Grace.

"Josh, where are you going?"

Josh looked up in surprise. "Uhh, out with Sam."

"Oh," Grace said, her eyes flicking to me then away from us.

Josh raised his eyebrows. "You need me for something?"

"No, uhh..." Grace trailed off. "I... Just wanted to make sure you weren't going far. You know, in case Heath needed you or something."

Josh narrowed his eyes suspiciously at her but then seemed to shrug it off and instead smiling. "Okay, well I'll be close. Thanks for the concern."

Grace looked up hesitantly smiling and then flashing me a look of concern before walking away awkwardly.

I wanted to roll my eyes. I've been in plenty of battles and dangerous missions before. Now that she knew I was Josh's horse Midnight didn't make me weaker.

When the irritatingly tight girth was fastened, Josh led me outside and mounted me. Within minutes, we were trotting away from the castle, side by side with Thunder and Sam.

"So it's been awhile, Jay!" Thunder boomed excitedly.

"Yeah, sure feels like it," I replied, flicking my tail thoughtfully.

"What's up?" Thunder knew me well.

"Nothing. I mean... Well, it's been crazy lately. You don't know how many times I've had to turn human for the sake of my secret."