Chapter 17

I gasped at the force of the water, to only find myself choking. I tried to cough, but I had no air to do so. I struggled to try to make it to the surface to find myself hit hard wall. I was going to drown! Any hope of survival left me. Everything was dark and blurry, and no matter how hard I swam, there was no air to greet me.

My lungs screamed for air and my vision wavered. My throat felt huge and the salt water I choked down rapidly made me feel like I was going to explode. My head began to feel heavy along with the rest of my body and I stopped flailing.

I felt myself start to sink but I no longer cared. Closing my stinging eyes, I tried desperately to think of everyone I cared for and loved. My foster parent's bright faces flashed before my eyes. Rain and Scarlet neighed playfully at me. I saw Jonah laughing as he clapped me on the back and Grace grinning at me as she stroked my hair. Josh smiled protectively at me and Elliot laughed good naturally at my grumpiness and Rose and other horses thanked me for saving them.

I held onto those memories as I felt my heart slow down rapidly, and my lungs began to slow down. I no longer craved air. Thinking of the people I cared so dearly for, I put my mind at ease.

I was dimly aware of a force around my stomach. Of leaving the water. I could dimly feel the air around me, but I didn't need air anymore. I was ready to die.

A hard slam to my chest brought a painful slap to my heart, making it thumped a little faster. I felt myself being squeezed violently, and a sudden heap of water came rushing to the surface. I was forced to cough. The force came again. More water surged out of me through my mouth. Stop! Let me go in peace! I wanted to scream but I couldn't. I wanted the pain to end. Another painful force brought up a little more water and I found myself choking in a breath.

My lungs screamed in pain as I now choked on breathing in too much air at once. I coughed again, feeling more water drip from my lips.

"Jay! Say something! Squeeze my arm! Please! Anything to tell me your okay!"

The distant voice didn't make sense at first. As it continued to repeat itself, I realized it was Elliot screaming desperately.

Not daring to open my eyes yet, I gasped before saying, "are they okay?"

"Thank God, Jay," Elliot's weak voice ringed through my head. I suddenly felt him close to me as he hugged me with one arm and cradled my head with the other.

That's when I realized, I'm alive! I felt my arms close weakly around Elliot, and I gathered his wet shirt in my fists, not wanting to let go.

"Are we safe? Are the others okay?"

"Well-Well I don't know about the others. We-We are on a wood board." Elliot's shaky voice scared me. He's always so calm at tough times yet he is nervous now!

Elliot released me carefully and I found I couldn't support myself so I laid motionless on the wooden board. I felt so tired. I wanted to pass out more then anything.

"Jay! Stay with me," Elliot said, shaking me gently.

I was snapped back into the world. A huge wave suddenly made the wood creak. Elliot held me on the board while holding the board with his other hand, desperately trying to keep us on.

"Rose," I whispered without realizing it. "Rose, Es esmu mirst. Man palīdzēt, vai tas būs beigas mani."

Another large wave hit us, and Elliot cried out as the board cracked, and grasping me now with both of his hands, we plunged back into the water.

Breaking the surface, I could feel Elliot's tense muscles begin to weaken. I didn't care anymore. I could hardly feel the pain. "Izpildiet manu balsi. Mēs esam šeit." I felt myself leave my body, for the peaceful, painless darkness.