Chapter 27

I stumbled backwards as the knife Jeff threw spun towards me. I didn't duck in time and the butt of the knife smacked against my forehead, making me stumble backwards and rub my forehead painfully. I had a feeling a bruise would most definitely form there soon.

Before I could recover, Jeff's strong hands lunged for my shoulders, slamming me against the wall as the breath was blown out of me.

I gasped before gazing at Jeff blazing brown eyes that bore holes through my head.

"You loved me," I gasped, trying to slow him down as I tried to think of what to do next, "Surely you haven’t completely gotten over me enough to want to kill me."

"I was able to attempt to kill you when you were nine," Jeff spat like it was no big deal. His harsh words made me flinch.

"You and Mom were so nice..." I whispered.

Jeff pressed his arm against my throat, cutting off oxygen as I felt my trachea smash flat in my neck. "We are kind as long as the person isn't a monster. You're a monster. We are not your parents" Jeff said through bare teeth.

I gasped, clutching his arm in my hands as I tried to pull him off me. My vision wavered from black to clear before me as I heard distant sirens. The police were here.

Jeff released me and I fell weakly onto all fours as I gasped for air.

"Why don't you use your wicked magic to escape?" Jeff shouted, mercilessly kicking me. "Just want to scare us, ehh?"

"No," I gasped refusing to look at Jeff's fuming face, "because you're right. It is dangerous and even if you don't care a bit about me anymore, doesn't change how much I care for you guys. You may have replaced me, but I still love you." I closed my eyes, trying to stop my tears from flowing freely.

"Unfortunately for you," Jeff growled, "I don't believe a word you say!"

I heard footsteps as people in blue and people in white entered. My mind flashed back to Hannah and how these people had taken her to me.

Jumping to my feet, I dodged past Jeff's swinging fist as I stumbled back into the kitchen. Amy gasped in fear, stumbling backwards and against a wall.

I hesitated. "I love you; mother," I said quickly and meaningfully, "and I would never hurt you. That's why I wanted to see you one last time before I ended this flow of magic for good."

Amy stared at me with wide eyes, clearly showing she wasn't going to answer me. I glanced back quickly, hearing the people behind me, racing for the kitchen.

I started to panic with fear. It had been too long since I have been at this house. I realized I wasn't sure where the door to the backward was.

I turned back to Amy. "Please," I begged quickly, "help me get out of here and you will never have to see me again." Those words to your own parents stings so badly it makes you feel like dying.

Amy hesitated and I glanced back fearfully as the first person chasing me entered the kitchen.

I was sure I was done for. But all at once, Amy grasped my wrist, racing through the other kitchen door and down the hallway curving suddenly to a door leading to the backyard. I recognized the white fence surrounding the yard and cutting me off from the woods.

Amy turned me around, grabbing both my wrists as she gazed into my eyes with a strained face.

"I still loved you," she whispered as tears streamed down her face, "and I still do." She glanced back as the men were gaining on us as Jeff shouted instructions to where we were heading before looking back at me. "But I also fear you and your magic and I fear how you can hurt us with it. I still love you like a daughter but you leaving may be what's best."