Chapter 26

I glanced behind me to see Josh stumbling behind me. I let out a sigh as I slowed down, wiping my moist eyes dry. I was tired of running. I would just demand Josh to leave me alone.

Josh caught up, reaching out to grab my arm. I pulled away. If he had a grip on my arm I feared that he'd be able to pull me back to camp.

"Jauda," Josh began.

"I can't talk to you about this further now," I told him. "I need to do something. There is a reason I came to the United States. It's personal though so I need you to go back to camp and wait for me around there. If you can understand anything, you will do this for me."

Josh frowned, but he seemed to be able to push back his feelings too, as he said calmly, "I don't want you to go off on your own."

I sighed. Reasoning with him was impossible. "Well I will be going. Alone."

Josh stared at me defiantly. I stared back. After a moment of high tensioned silence, Josh sighed. "Give me a time you will be back then."

"By tomorrow evening," I assured him.

"No, this evening. That will give you a few good hours."

I growled in frustration. "Fine."

"Where are you going?"

I decided to lie. "Not far. Just near town." It was pretty true actually, just avoiding the house part.

"Very well," Josh said, clearly not happy to be letting me go. "But we will be coming to look for you if you don't show up tonight.

"I'm sure you will," I said, knowing he meant us as in everyone back at our camp.

Josh scowled before turning around.

Quickly, I slipped into the woods, running and looking back to make sure he wasn't trying to follow.

After ten minutes of running I shifted into a horse, stretching my legs as I galloped. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed being a horse. I had forgotten how fast I could run as a horse. Maybe going permanently back into a horse won't be all too bad, I thought hopefully. I ignored the voice in my head that reminded me, it gets old fast when you don't get a brake from it all.

I sprouted out of the trees into town. I debated if I should turn back into human when I noticed with shock that there were signs posted everywhere with my face drew pretty accurately on it. Above it read: MISSING- Long dark haired, violet eyed girl. Is dangerous. Call the police immediately if you see her.

Never mind. I am staying horse, even if it looks odd in town. I'd just have to make sure to stay near the outside and hopefully not get caught.

I hardly remembered this town. I did recall being near to the dock fortunately when I was little so it was a matter of finding the familiar streets.

Walking near the woods, I gazed all around me, slipping into the brush whenever I received a weird look from a peer.

I was very much aware that people weren't accustomed to seeing horses in town. I had to be careful. The United States was car dominated, not horse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just came out of the trees back into camp. Gazing at all of Jauda's friends talking cheerfully around the fire, I decided to try to ditch my pain and worries for her and listen to the bright chatter coming from every individual.

Sitting down in my seat between Grace and Elliot, I smiled my greetings.

Immediately, (to my annoyance), Elliot scanned the trees for Jauda. I didn't like that guy anymore then I had when he had brought grain to the palace for me.