14

A S H T O N

After leaving her house, I had to make sure that that trash of a guy never got near Joelle again.

The way the events took place, I'm positive I got my message across.

I might  never get to be around this amazing girl, and the last thing I want is for some jerk to come and ruin her life. That's the last thing she deserves.

I'm not given enough time to celebrate my triumphs, for when I step inside the hotel room, I am greeted by three ugly, and upset guys.

I roll my eyes and let out a sigh, "Guys, how many times do I need to apologize?"

Calum glares at me, "You haven't apologized, actually."

"Well I'm sorry, okay? Why are you all acting as if you all are perfect, you all are treating me like I'm the only one that makes mistakes," I look at them, "seriously, this was only because bad time management."

"No, Ashton, you have it all wrong. In the public's eyes, you're the definition of perfection. You're the oldest, the responsible one, the one that talks the most, the one who keeps this group on check, What the heck happened today? Out of all the days, why this one?" Luke waits for an explanation.

To a certain extent, I can see where they're coming from. I'm supposed to be the leader, the responsible one, yet I couldn't manage to show up to the biggest event this band will ever get.

"I had something to do, okay?" If making me feel guilty was their goal, then they are succeeding.

"More important than Alexis Starr?" Michael asks with his arms crossed across his chest.

I avoid all of their gazes, "In a way," I mumble.

"What?" Calum asks, clearly in complete shock.

Not only is Alexis Starr the definition of success, but she also happens to be the hottest woman on the planet, and our celebrity crush. She's the most successful teenager.

She's an A-list celebrity, and we're Z-listers, so the chances of any of us ever dating Miss Starr are clearly very slim. But that doesn't stop these guys from being overachievers.

"Yes!" I say a little too loud.

They all stare at me in shock, and don't speak.

"You met someone! What? What are you thinking?" Michael is clearly upset. Well, he's more upset than what he already was.

"I- yes- no-," I let out a sigh, "yes, but she's just a friend."

Wow, I just friendzoned her.

Their eyes are still widened, and they are still in shock. "What happened to staying away from dating? What happened to 'job first, girls later'?"

More guilt settles in, especially because I'm the one who suggested putting our job first and refraining from getting emotionally attached to a girl. We're in a point in our career where we need to dedicate ourselves one hundred percent, having a girlfriend would take too much time away from our goals.

"No wonder you've been slacking! Lately it's been difficult to get you off of your phone," Calum says, "she's just your friend, and she's already wasting your time."

"Of course, I mean what girl in their obvious mind will let Ashton Iriwn go so easily?"

I stare at them in disbelief.

Joelle never believed I was the guy I claimed to be: Ashton Irwin, drummer for the band 5 Seconds of Summer.

"It amazes me how shallow and ignorant you all can be," I avoid their gaze and make my way out of the living room.

I change out of the formal clothes I'm wearing and slip into my sweats and put on a white tee. I go to the restroom and wash the blood off my bruised knuckles and take in the sight of me from the mirror. I look like hell,  there's a massive bruise close to my eyes, a sick mixture of black, purple, and blue. This is not the way I envisioned this day to turn out.

I walk out the restroom and let myself fall onto the bed forgetting  the intensity of the brawl I was just in. I wince and curse under my breath and pain strikes from different places of my body. 

The guys were too upset about the interview that they didn't bother asking why I look like hell.

Just when I thought the day couldn't get better, I hear my phone vibrate.

I have five unread text messages.

A smile begins to form onto my face when I realize they're from two different unknown numbers.

Unknown: bummer that you couldn't show up today, don't worry though, I forgive you

Unknown: I've changed my mind actually, I want you all to be on my TV show, call me for the deets.

Unknown: just to be clear, I'm doing this for you

The smile disappears, and frown as I read the text messages. How did she get my number in the first place?

Unknown: can't wait to see you, this is Alexis btw

Unknown: just thought it'd be reasonable to give you my # , so here it is. Thanks for tonight, the dance was amazing even though you danced terribly.

The smile is back. I stifle a laugh and I begin to type my message while smiling like a complete idiot.

Me: wow, we're getting some real progress.

Joelle: shut it Irwin, just cause I found out you're one of the hottest guys on the planet doesn't mean I'll treat you any different. You're still an idiot in my eyes.

Me: so I'm hot now?

Joelle: c'mon, let's not avoid the obvious

Me: you're not so bad yourself.

Joelle: am I even texting Ashton? or am I texting his bodyguard? Secretary?

Me: it's Ashton, always has been, promise.

Joelle: this is so unreal.

Me: why? It's not like I'm a god.

Joelle: well, you're not an average person either.

Me: right.

Joelle: there's still one remaining question in this odd situation.

Me: what is it?

Joelle: why in the world are you reading fan fics of yourself?

Oh. Damn.