18

not my best chapter, please bear with me.

------

"So how does it feel that the Ashton Irwin said your name?" Ivy asks, bumping my shoulder and smirk on her face.

I shrug, "You can't possibly believe I'm the only Joelle in the world?" I mumble.

Ivy furrows her eyebrows, "That's not what I meant. Clearly you don't know Ashton, I mean Ashton Irwin wouldn't use up his time to talk to-"

"Someone like me?" I stop to look her in shock, "Ashton Irwin wouldn't waste his time on me? Is that what you were going to say?"

It's enough that my mind has convinced me that that's exactly what it is, the last thing I need is for Ivy to confirm my worst feelings.

"Joelle, you know that's not what I meant," Ivy eyes me, choosing her words carefully, "i-is there something bothering you? Why are you acting like this?"

"Acting like what? Myself?" I ask.

"Acting defensive? Jo, are you all right?"

"Where were you?!" I ask, shocking myself with my sudden outburst. "Where were you at the dance? Where were you this weekend? Ivy where were you? You never called, we agreed to stick together and few second after we arrive it's like you disappeared and never bothered to check on me."

"You're blaming for your lack of socialization?" Ivy asks as she furrows her eyebrows.

"No, the only thing I'm blaming you is of being a terrible friend," I retort.

This has completely taken a turn for the worst.

Ivy gasps, "Do you expect me to be like you? Alone and depressed? The last thing I want is to be stuck with a person who clearly has no future, and is instead going to spend the rest of her lonely days surrounded by animals who might not even like her either!"

My eyes widen, and my mouth is left open.

Ivy immediately realizes what she has just said and tries to take back her hurtful words.

"Jo-"

I shake my head, "No, don't say anything, I have fault in this as well."

"I didn't mean anything I said," she tries to apologize.

"I think It'd be best if you leave me alone for the rest of the day. I'm not really up for anything." I tell her.

She tries again to make me feel better, but this time I turn and leave her alone.

Instead of hanging out in the hall, I rush to all of my classes. With everything on my mind, it took me long to realize that rather than me avoiding Noah, the guy has been avoiding me. When I see him in the hall, he walks the opposite direction. In my classes he sits farthest away from me.

They say guilt is a powerful emotion, maybe that's what he's experimenting.

I pull my phone out for the millionth time today, and there's nothing on my screen. I have no messages whatsoever.

I let out a heavy sigh and place my back into my pocket.

Unlike other days, I sit in the very back of the classroom, avoiding any form of interactions.

Two girls sit on the seats in front of me.

"Did you see how beaten up he was? Not even the makeup was enough to cover the bruise on his face!"

"I'm surprised Alexis failed to point that out," the other girl comments.

"Alexis only cares about herself. If she'd pointed out the bruise then show would've ended up focused on Ashton rather than just Alexis," the first girls states with a hint of anger, "I just hope he's alright."

"Yeah me too. But to Ashton's defense, he seemed to have stolen the spotlight either way. The guy knows how to make a-"

"Okay everyone listen up!" Mrs. Oliver calls out, "let me do attendance, and then we'll get started."

She begins to look around the classroom as she check attendance. I sit quietly, hoping not hear Ashton's name anymore.

It seems as if after the interview, Ashton has been everywhere but in my phone.

I'd never had problems channeling my anger, much less controlling it. Lashing out on Ivy is not me, it really isn't.

I should already be used to her forgetfulness, and sometimes obliviousness. I should already know that has so much fun that she needs a whole day to get back on her feet.

This was just a dance, it wasn't supposed to be a big deal.

Someone clears their throat from behind. I turn around and see Ivy looking at my through saddened eyes.

I sigh, "Ivy I-"

Sh hold s her hand up and stops me from saying much. "We've both said things that we clearly don't mean, and contrary to what you believe, I know when something's wrong with my best friend and I'm not going to leave until you tell me."

A sad smile forms on my face,"Can we just get out of here?"

"Well of course we can," she warps her arm across my shoulder and then get her we find a way to sneak out of this hell hole.

***

"I know you're my best friend, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to believe what you're telling me," Ivy tells through pauses as she tries to grasp and understand everything I have told her.

Once again I repeat the story. I tell her about my story's transformation from being normal, to being a fan fiction. How I met the coolest person as he spread hate through my story. How I'd identified this guy as "Fletcher" but only found out his true identity the day of the dance. I tell her about Noah and how he was there, and of the interview and my reaction.

So much had happened, that I too am startled by the events that took place in my life.

"Well, what a jerk," Ivy finally says after a long moment of silence.

I furrow my eyebrows, not expecting that response of hers. "Wait, what?"

"I mean, it was clear to the whole world that he didn't want to be there so you had no excuse to react as you did, but he should have also understood how you're not used to being in his world. Plus, you did a bold thing as to admit your crush on-"

Ivy stops talking, "Wait, so youre the Joelle?"

I look at her as if she'd just said something stupid. This whole conversation happened because of her asking how I felt that Ashton said my name. That question led to this conversation.

Ivy's face turns a bright shade of red, "Well he basically admitted on national television that he liked talking to you. It's no wonder he's pissed at you," Ivy states, completely turning away from her previous standing.

She's no longer with me, she's against me.

I run my hand through my hair, "I know, I turned the tv off before I heard him say that. I screwed up, huh?"

Ivy gives me a pitying look, "Yes you did, my friend."

I get a bad feeling at the pit of my stomach. I thought that having this conversation would make feel better, that I'd be convince that things would get better, but that hasn't been the case.

Truth is, things are unlikely to get better.