24

"This was a terrible idea, you should have just let her be, look at her! How did you possibly think this was a good idea? We kidnapped a person we don't even want!"

"Luke, shut up, I think she's finally waking up."

"Great, just our luck."

"Jo?"

I know all those voices.

I can distinguish each voice in a matter of seconds, but it's the last one that sends my heart into a frenzy.

My eyes open slowly, my head is throbbing, and my face stinging

I sit up, it's then that I realize that I'm on a bed, in a room, surrounded by three familiar, hot, famous, guys.

"What happened?" I croak, my throat extremely dry.

"Uh, you fainted, you kept coming in and out of consciousness, pretty terrifying if you ask me," Michael answers from beside. He sounds spiritless, and disinterested.  He doesn't care.

I'm just another situation that he needs to handle.

"Doctor said it's possibly due to emotional stress, you've been through too much in a short amount of time," Luke states, sounding far worse than Michael.

My eyes shift to Ashton, who has his sight on the ground. His arms are crossed across his chest, and he seems to be biting his lip, a little too hard may I add.

"Hey there," I say, my voice sounding a bit less disgusting than before.

I can see the moment Ashton tenses. Slowly he lifts his sight, and I'm able to catch of glimpse of his expression.

There's nothing but pain and guilt.

"We're gonna leave now," Michael says, taking a step back and beginning to walk away with Luke.

I furrow my eyebrows as they close the door behind them, "They don't seem like me too much," I state, "By any chance have you lost your drumsticks? I think they might be stuck up Luke and Michael's-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence," Michael yells from the other side.

Ashton lets out a small chuckle, as I roll my eyes. "I'm sure they like you in their own special, oddly worrisome, kind of way."

I press my lips together, "Sure have a nice way of showing it."

Ashton laughs, "Yeah, they're probably jealous because they thought they'd be the only friends I'd ever have."

Oh.

Friends...

Of course we're only friends, he talks to Alexis, she's his type of girl.

I let out a dry laugh then press my lips together.

Ashton sighs, and throws his head back, possibly realizing what just slipped out of his mouth, "Joelle, I'm sorry you know what I meant."

I nod. "Yeah, I do," I agree, "it's fine to say the "F" word around me, we are friends, never been anything more, and possibly never will."

Ashton's sight shifts away from me, "Right," he mutters.

He's not the Ashton I met, the Ashton I grew attached to. He's much more reserved now, holding himself back from being the lenient, chilled, idiotic teenager I grew to like.

The room is silent. I'm sure we both have so much to say, but just don't know how to get the jumbled words in the right order. So much has happened, in fact, just a couple of minutes ago, I could have sworn I hated Ashton Irwin, but now with him standing just a couple of feet away, I feel everything but.

"I'm sorry this happened to you," he says again, "I didn't mean for things to spin out of control as they did."

I roll my eyes, "Chill out Fletch, I'm fine."

Ashton frowns, his green eyes no longer hold the glimmer they did they first time I made contact with them."It's hard to believe you when you have a gash running across your face."

I try to ignore the fact that he just did not make a big deal about the name I just called him.

He pulls out his phone and I'm able to see my reflection. "Okay Drama Queen it's not that bad."

I pull the covers away, and begin to stand. I must've gotten up too quickly because the room begins to spin and find myself unable to hold up. If it weren't for Ashton's firm grip around my waist, I would have been on the floor.

"Careful," Ashton breaths, his breath tickling my ear, causing my breathing to become rapid, as well as my heartbeat.

I push myself away, "Thanks," I mutter, unable to bring myself to look at him, "I really need to go, there's no point of me being here, I'm fine."

"For now, what if something-"

"Ashton, you won't be around to protect me all the time. I think I should learn to fight my own battles, don't you think?"

"I got you into this mess," he says.

"We got each other into this mess," I say, "I mean, if I wasn't such a great author then maybe all this could have been avoiding."

"Oh c'mon you're pushing it," Ashton scoffs, the glint slowly beginning to appear.

"luckdrummer18 begs to differ," I smirk.

Ashton's cheeks begin to turn a bright shade of pink.

Just when I thought the guy couldn't get any better looking.

There's a knock on the door and Calum walks in.

"I think it's time for Joelle to go, she seems fine."

Ashton stands, clearly about to burst in a rage.

I clear my throat, and without thinking, I place my hand on Ashton's chest, trying my best to get him to calm.

"Easy there tiger, you don't wanna be emotionally stressed, now do you?"

A flat smile appears on his face, but he says nothing.

"It's fine," I assure him once more, "I need to go to my parents. They're probably worried sick."

"Let me take you-"

"No need, that's been arranged already," Calum interrupts once again.

"What is your problem?" Ashton yells, pushing me to the side, "what are you doing? What are you gaining by treating my friend like she's trash?"

"Because she is trash, trash you picked out when you have other options, better options! What are you doing? You're killing us here! We're a team, but that clearly doesn't mean anything to you when you're out there screwing every girl that crosses your path!" Calum turns to look at me, clearly seeing the shock and hurt all over my face. "That's right," he exclaims, "you're not his first pity party, and you will certainly not be his last."

"Calum shut your mouth or I will-"

"Ashton!" I scream, just when he's about to lift his fists.

The room is quiet, and I have the attention to myself.

"I want to go home," I say, "please."

I'm never one to beg, but at the moment, I'm willing to make an exception.

Ashton rips his infuriated gaze from Ashton, and looks at me. He doesn't look any less upset, but at least I know the anger is directed towards me.

"Fine," he says, "but I'm driving."