0

Everything around me is dark, and the only source of light is the screen of my laptop. I faintly prop my elbow on my lap and go over my story for the one millionth time, trying to find a solution to my current problem. After re-reading my story, again I'm left with the same confusion as when I started.

I let out a sigh and let myself fall back on the bed, the laptop still on my lap.

As I stare at the ceiling, vague memories begin to emerge, and I find my mind drifting back to the day I first told Ivy of my problem.

The problem was, and currently is, that I have not had the right amount of attention, or reads, on my book. I had exactly five chapters uploaded, and overall I had five reads, no votes, no comments. Basically, the attention my book was receiving was dry, and just plain shameful.

At the time Ivy was going through a tough fangirl moment, and was freaking out because her favorite Wattpad fan fiction was going to get published. So Ivy was a basically a big emotional wreck. Now that I think about it, it kind of explains why she had an idea that not only was dumb, but also pushing me way past my limit.

"Why don't you make your story into a fan fiction? You know, change your male protagonist's name to that of your favorite celebrity?"

Even thinking about the simple sentence makes my stomach churn. Ever since I've gotten on Wattpad, unlike Ivy, I have maintained this anti-fanfic standing. I've only read three fanfics and saying they were horrible is a completely, major understatement. I still can't seem to comprehend why Ivy loves them so much, they're terrible. When I even hear the word fan fiction, the image that pops into my head is a love-struck, crazy, twelve year old typing away in front of a desktop as they make up a story that fits their imagination and is perfection in their eyes, but not quiet as close in the eyes of the readers.

Maybe it's because I haven't read the right fan fiction, and in all honesty I don't think that'll ever happen.

"Look, who's your celebrity crush?" Ivy asked, trying to convince me into writing the fanfic.

"Ashton Irwin," I mumbled reluctantly.

"Oh yes, Ashton is bae. Anyways, just place him as your main character, and watch as Ashton girls read your story, skyrocketting your views,votes, and comments-"

"But I am not going to change anything in my story just to accommodate "Ashton" within it. No way, this is a crazy idea, besides I'm not capable of such downgrade," I can't even imagine myself writing a fanfic.

"My favorite author made her book a fanfic, it got so much attention because of course she wrote it very well, and because she used the members of an amazing band. Now her story is getting published, and it's going to be like it was never a fanfic. She changed the names of the characters, and well it's no longer a fanfic anymore, only the Wattpad version is. If your story is as successful as hers, which I highly doubt, then you can put it back to normal."

The person in which she spoke of was just amazing, not only to pull off a fanfic, but also because she was smart about it. Still the idea was not convincing. The school bell rung and we went to class, never to speak about the subject ever since.

Now lying in bed, a month later, with only five reads, zero comments, and zero votes, the idea is just tempting.

I let out a breath, and sit up.

I edit my story, change my profile picture, my name, and my bio. I erase everything that could hint anyone who I really am. All I want is for my stories to get discovered, for people to enjoy reading as much a I do writing them. I don't want to personally get famous, just my books.

Reject (a.i. au)

I take in a deep breath and press the "Save & Publish" button.