Why Try

I opened my eyes to the ceiling of a hospital bedroom. Had I really been out that long that they had already gotten me a room? I looked over to the right to see Jack on his phone, and a shimmer of light beaconing in from the small slit between the curtains behind him. It must've still been daytime.

"Ah you're awake!", a voice said ripping both me and Jack from our thoughts. "Hi", I uttered softly to the female doctor standing above me. "Sooo, there's good news and bad news: the good news is, you can still have all the kids you want", she said giving me a sly grin. "But the bad news is, you have a fractured ribcage, and usually, that takes about a month to heal, so you can either stay here for recovery for a few weeks then finish it at home, or we can get you on some strong meds that will allow you to leave, and attend school in a couple days" I cringed at the thought of going back to school. I couldn't, I really couldn't.

"However, all of this is under your mothers discretion, and since you're a minor, we need her to come in and make the decision.", she added before smiling and leaving the room.

It was a disaster! I knew I couldn't really bring my mom here or else she'd see me as weak and go harder on me at home, but I also couldn't leave without her.

I tried to sit up and intense pain ran through my entire chest. It was the worst thing Id ever felt. Jack ran over and fluffed up my pillow. "Lay back down man, you won't get any better by moving around."

I laid back down, only to be shocked again by the sound of the hospital door slamming open. "Oh my sweet little baby!!!", my mom yelled walking over to the bed and repeatedly kissing my forehead. How the hell did she even find out that I was here!?

"Oh my, oh my, oh my. What happened?", She said in the most fake voice I had ever heard her attempt. "Who did this!? We are gonna sue! Just wait until I get my lawyer!", she exclaimed, adding insult to injury. For a second I believed her, but it all was obvious after that.

"So Ms. Grier, we can either keep Nash here for recovery, or get him some strong painkillers, and he could be back to his normal life in about a week", the doctor said. And thats when I knew.

"Lets get him on the meds, Id never want him to miss his first days of high school, those are the most important! And he should be around family!", she said emphasizing family. She didn't care about me, she just wanted to watch me in pain.

-------------

"Thank you again for looking out for Nash, and bringing him to the hospital. He must be so lucky to have a friend like you", my mom explained to Jack as we pulled up to his house. "No problem Ms. Grier. Ill call you later Nash, feel better man", he said getting out of the back seat and walking up to his house.

The rest of the ride was silent, and when we arrived to the house is when she started to get upset. We pulled into the garage and she closed it behind us.

"You little fuck! You dragged me away from my shows to come down to a hospital, and pretend like I give a shit about you!" Her words hurt more than any fracture could. "Do you know how many episodes i've missed!?" She threw a punch straight at my ribcage, precisely aiming for it.

"Answer me Hamilton!!", she screamed, making me jump, then squeal in pain.

"No, I don't know", I said, trying my best to not let tears come to my eyes.
"So you're gonna cry now like a little baby!? Go to your room Nash!", she yelled. I began to move, slowly because of the pain, opening the door and stepping my foot out, but that wasn't enough for her. "FASTER. And don't come out until I say so", she said, shoving me out the car and onto the hard cement of the garage floor.

By the time I made it to my room, she had already finished a second bottle.

------------

That night I couldn't sleep for many reasons. First off, breathing hurt a lot, and second, I couldn't stop thinking about how much my mom hated me. It really cut deep that she could treat me like this but still deep down, I felt the need to love her since she was my mom after all. It just made me even more upset.

I was pulled away from my thoughts by the sound of my window being opened. I was in too much pain to get up and defend myself, so I pulled the cover over my head.

"Nash, Nash are you in here", a familiar voice whispered. I pulled the cover from over my head to see Cameron standing near my window. "Cameron?", I whispered. Oh no.

"Cameron please, please leave", I whispered pleadingly. If my mom saw that I had someone over at 3 am, and it was a boy... I could kiss my life goodbye. "Nash, I wanna apologize", Im so sorry for acting like that today. I just-"

"Cameron, please, im begging, please go quickly", i whisper yelled. I tried to sit up and the pain from my chest shocked my entire body, causing me to scream out quickly before I covered my mouth. "What's wrong", Cameron said, running over and placing his hand on my back. "I have a fractured rib...", I whispered, making my anger apparent. "Cameron please, you can talk to me tomorrow, just, you have to go, please, just please go", I pleaded. "Ok, but 8 am ill be here, to pick you up, and we're gonna go to breakfast or something ok, we have to talk", he asked, walking back towards the window. "Sure, anything you want, now go please, bye", I said waving my hand towards the window. He took the hint and climbed out while I pulled the cover back over my head, praying she hadn't heard anything.