Lead The Way

We sat down in the booth of the restaurant. "So how are you feeling", he asked softly, hanging his head. "Im feeling better really!", I lied. I wasn't feeling any better, even though my pain was finally going away, I was confused, distraught, and just overwhelmed. "Look we need to talk Nash", Cam said as he laid his palm on top of mine. My heart began to race. "I really...", he said stopping in the middle and staring behind me. I turned around to see JC, Mike & Gilinsky walking inside the diner. Cameron quickly jumped up from his seat, threw 2 $20 bills on the table and walked over to his friends, who made no effort to try and hide their insults from me. I listened as they repeatedly called me the "fag" until finally Cameron uttered the words himself too, saying he was only here to tell me to stay away from him. My heart heaved even though I knew deep down it was most likely for show. I worked up the courage and turned around slowly and waved at the group of guys. "Thanks for the rib fractures guys, it was a great back to school present", I said smiling at them. They shook their heads at me and walked out of diner and out to Gilinsky's car.

I decided to look at the good side and realized I'd just recieved a free meal! My mom had been stealing my earnings during the night and spending them on boose before I could wake up, claiming that any money in the house was hers since she paid the bills. In other words I was stuck with her cuisine, which consisted water, 3 luttuce leafs and a delicious array of leftover nuts & seeds from her trail mix. On good days I could get the rest of her Chipotle that she didn't finish. I was her pet, running when she called, sitting when she yelled, eating her left over scraps. It was the worst feeling in the world.

I called the waitress back over and ordered an entire breakfast meal and paid for one for the next two days just incase my mom decided to drink away my savings again that night.

Cam's POV

As we walked out of the diner I felt a feeling of anger overcome my body, not for Nash, or the guys for making fun of him, but for myself. I was so caught up in the moment I didn't realize I had been a severe asshole.

"Hey Cameron, what were you even doing with that trash anyways?", JC said as we got into the convertible.

"I was just telling him to stay away from me, he thinks we're still friends, haha, I don't wanna catch it", I lied.

"Why were you ever his friend? He's always been a loser", Gilinsky asked, causing me to clench my fists.

"We've just known each other since we were born, our parents used to be close and we really became friends in first grade, I don't know."

"Well that's why you gotta drop people man, you can't be THE Cameron Dallas, the schools biggest player, hanger around with Nash Grier, the schools biggest joke.", JC Explained

"Aw cmon guys, I don't really care about my image, its all just a teenage joke, I'll be fine hanging with who I want", I replied trying to get off of Nash and onto me, but it didn't work.

"So you admit you were hanging out with him?", JC rebutted as we pulled up to a red light. The two other boys glared at me waiting for a reply that would either ruin our friendship forever or make it stronger than it's ever been. The thought that I could possibly erase one of my best friends of my entire life for them and my high school image made them squeal inside.

"Well? Were you?"