Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I wasn’t asleep long though. Ashley woke up about an hour later, startled by the new surroundings she was in and not remembering how she got to them. The sudden movements and sharp pants woke me up instantly and I turned on the lamp light that was beside me and I had to calm Ashley down again. It took a bit, but afterwards, both of us decided that the best way to get our minds away from Jonah was to distract it with a movie. I don’t know if it exactly worked for her, but it didn’t work on me. I was worrying to much about Ashley, but she seemed to be doing okay at least. She hadn’t started crying again, she just had a depressed feel about her

            Once it was the morning, I grumbled a bit as I went to sit up in the bed. I turned to look at Ashley and was glad to see that the girl was still asleep. I felt her move and toss around every once in a while, but she was asleep for the entire night. At this point now, I just hoped that she wouldn’t have any nightmares. That was the last thing that the poor girl needed. She had to deal with working on Jonah’s funeral with his family and I knew it would be hard to do that. I knew it would be hard to go through his things. I told her many times at the hospital and in the dorm that she would do anything to help, but she didn’t know if Ashley would take it. Nor did I actually know if I could do it.

            I forced myself out of the bed, holding my side a bit at first from the ache before I went to my dresser. I took an Advil from one of the packs that I had in my room that I kept in very high supply since I first broke my ribs. I needed a water bottle, but I also thought that I could make a start of cleaning the clubhouse right now if the guys made a mess last night before the guys yelled at me to stop. The clubhouse was dead silent, but it was about four in the morning so I wasn’t surprised.

            Still in my pajamas, I made my way out of the dorm and to the lounge to get a water bottle, Advil pills in hand when I saw something that surprised me. Happy was sitting at the bar drinking a bottle of whiskey. He looked over at me when I walked in.

            Fuck. My. Life.

            I wondered if he or James told anyone what happened. If I was going to be getting a talking down to or if he was going to lay it on me himself. I did deserve it. I was a prospect and I basically backhanded a member of the club I was trying to get into.

            What do I even say to him?

            I tried the civil approach and I told him as I kept walking to behind the bar to get a water bottle, “I didn’t think anyone else woke up this early.”

            He gruffed a bit before answering, “I’m usually not up this early. I’m up at five usually.”

            I nodded and picked up the water bottle and opened it before setting the cap on the bar counter. I placed the pill in my mouth before I took a large gulp from the water bottle and swallowed both. I looked down at him. He was watching me. I took a breath and looked down at the bar counter. There was tension there. It was all mine and I knew it. I was worried about what he would say, what he thought of me.

            So I decided to talk first.

            I hate eating my pride.

            “Look…” I started and turned my head to look up at him as I placed the water bottle on the bar and leaned my hands against it. He looked up at me and we stared at each other for a couple of seconds before I told him, “I’m sorry for what I said last night. I had a fucked up day and it wasn’t fair that I pressed that on you.”

            I looked at him for a reaction and I just saw him staring at me, blanked faced. But there was something in his eyes. I couldn’t read it completely, but it looked like it was understanding with maybe a hint of superiority.