Chapter Twenty-Eight

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

  I woke up to the sound of Buddy barking. As old as the dog was, his bark was still louder and deeper than a car horn. I groaned and moved a bit. I was hot and I was groggy. What was going on?

            Looking at the windows, it was still dark and I moved to the clock.

            Why were my eyes blurry? I could barely focus on the clock. It was about two o'clock, or almost...or was it one?

            Kiara left hours ago. She was gone by five in the afternoon and was on her way to her parent's house to see them. After that, I played outside with the dogs, throwing a Frisbee for the three of them to get while Buddy laid on the grass beside me. Tired from the past couple of days, I went to bed early at ten o'clock, although I'm sure that the pain killers helped. To keep the pain from my arm from using it throughout the day I kept taking them, but it didn't let up.

            I looked down at Buddy and saw that all four of my dogs were looking attentively at me. I turned to the door and saw no one there. The fire alarm wasn't going off. I looked down at them, "hey guys, what's going on?"

            Even my voice just barely came. I felt my forehead and felt that I was sweating. I groaned and felt light headed as I tried to sit up on the couch, the blanket falling off my shoulders. I felt my skin was hot and sticky. I groaned and took in shallow breaths. Reaching for the gunshot wound, even with sticky fingers I could feel the heat radiating from the bandages. It was also very painful at the touch and I winced a bit.

            "Fuck." I whispered, although my voice just barely coming.

            I kept taking shallow breaths as I used the couch as a way to help me off of it. When I went to bed I just felt tired and maybe a little hot, but I thought that was the weather. I definitely did not have a fever like this. I was even wearing shorts and an old t-shirt so it wasn't as though I was wearing something to keep me warm.

            I moved slowly to the bathroom and I turned on the light. I squinted against it for a couple of seconds before my eyes adjusted. I looked in the large mirror and my vision was still blurry, but I leaned closer to the mirror and could see my face clearer. I was pale and I was sweating. I moved so that I would be able to see my arm and I lifted my t-shirt sleeve. I leaned in a little bit to see the bandages better and I could see that the skin near it was a deep irritated red that I knew was not there before I went to bed.

            I groaned and went to the doorway, noticing now that my dogs followed me. Everything was fuzzy and it felt weird to walk, but I found my way slowly to my cell-phone. I looked through the contacts, squinting as I had trouble trying to read the names. I finally found the clubhouse's number as my first recent call and I pressed the green go button before sluggishly putting the phone to my ear. If this didn't work, I knew I would have to try and read contacts for individuals, but I was sure that the guys would still be up, whether for poker again or for pussy.

            It went straight to voice mail and I sighed before I hung up. I looked down and took deep breaths for about a minute to take some rest before I tried the clubhouse again. After I was sure it would go to voicemail again, I heard the phone pick up and Happy's gruff and tired voice, "yeah?"

            My voice was weak and it almost cracked as I asked, "Happy?"

            His voice immediately got focused, "Jesus, Rowen, you okay?"

            I shook my head and closed my eyes before realizing that he couldn't see me. I answered verbally, "no...is Chibs there? Did the guys come home yet?"