Chapter Twenty-Nine

{hey everyone, just a quick writers note here. I warn you that this is a cliff hanger and I'm sorry about this, but I don't know how frequently I will be updating for the next couple of weeks. No I didn't plan this, but I wanted to get at least this chapter done before slowing down my writing (if I can help it) a bit. I'm starting to get Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist and two of my fingers are so knotted and stuck with non-moving nerves that I can barely move them, so for physio treatment I have to lay off the typing a bit, which unfortunately means story writing. And if this treatment doesn't work, I may have to get hand surgery, which is a big thing because it could get rid of the feelings in my fingers (although I don't have much it will make it worse) and I am only 18, so hand surgery at this time would be super drastic (nor can I afford it as university costs are literally an arm and a leg). I can try and use my phone, but that would be harder personally, but I'm going to try and see what I can do. And I'm really sorry about stalling now, especially when I've FINALLY gotten into the good parts of the story with action coming through after long awaited chapters leading up to it. So I'm sorry my readers, but I will try and update as soon as I can. Also, as a quick note, please tell me what you think (I love reading comments) and Rhea's character face is Minka Kelly.}

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

            There was light shining through a barrier of some kind. I couldn't quite understand what was going on. There was this weird beeping too. It was constant and high pitched and it made me almost cringe every time I heard it.

            Taking in a deeper breath, I felt chemicals and soap and medicine. My noise burned a bit and I moved my head a little bit too. I heard someone move against a blanket and it took me a little bit to realize it was me.

            "Row? Rowen you awake?" I heard someone ask.

            I knew that voice. It took me a bit to realize that the barriers were my eyelids and I opened my eyes only to immediately close them from the harsh light that seemed to almost burn my eyes. After a couple of minutes I tried opening my eyes again and closed them while asking, "Rhea?"

            I felt her soft hand take mine and I tried opening my eyes again. I heard her as my eyes swept the room to see her sitting on the chair beside some soft of bed, "hey you. Glad to see that you are okay."

            Her eyes showed that she was worried, but at least she was smiling. That was comforting. Rhea was like a second mother even though she was the second eldest in our family. Don't get me wrong, my eldest sister Rachel could take care of us and act like the protective older sister, but it was Rhea who got the more motherly and elderly instincts. She acted like the oldest most of the time and she certainly looked it.

            I sighed and looked around before she saw my confusion and explained, "you're in a hospital. You apparently got a really bad infection."

            After thinking for a moment, I remembered Buddy, how he kept barking to wake me up, how I called Happy and he and Gemma and...Opie yes Opie came and took me to the hospital. I could barely stand...Happy had to carry me out of my house and into the hospital. Gemma...did Gemma talk about Kiara?

            I nodded a bit, "yeah, I think I remember that now." My voice was a little rough and I cringed slightly at the pain that it brought in my throat.

            She smiled again and squeezed my hands. She told me, "you've been asleep for almost two days. The doctors wanted to make sure that you would be okay, and then you slept a lot to fight back the infection...either way I'm glad you are awake now. And some of your co-workers or...or I guess clubmates, whatever you want to call them, are outside. Two of them haven't left and the others will come to visit to get information now and then."