Chapter Thirty-Seven

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

I heard an alarm early in the morning....or maybe it was still night. I couldn't be sure. The hours of the day were jumbled together and it was hard to know when was when, even with a clock in the room. I slept a lot and got tired easily. After seeing my sisters for a good while, I saw my brothers come in. I enquired where my mother was, but Rachelle, Rhea, and Rebecca just looked at each other and they frowned before Rhea explained, "she couldn't get away from work. You know how much of an asshole her boss is. She says she might come tomorrow."

To be honest, I wasn't surprised. Hurt, but not surprised. After that my mood was a little lowered. I found out that all of my family were staying at my house, keeping my dogs company at night and taking them on walks in the morning and night while Rachelle would stay home with Buddy and cuddle with him. By the time my brothers were about to leave I was tired again, but I stayed awake enough to see Sarah and Kiara and Sarah's mother, who all hugged me tightly. I hugged them back and listened to them, getting tired. After the second yawn I made, they said that they would leave me be again. I didn't want them to leave, they had only been in for about fifteen minutes and I wasn't done seeing them again, the presence of my visitors making me feel a bit better about what had happened, but by the end of the fifteen minutes, I could barely keep my eyes open. Rebecca came in to keep an eye on me and keep me company as I fell asleep.

The next time I woke up was when she was beside me. I was a bit thirsty so she went to get me a bottle of water. Rodger was also in the side of the room, reading a book. I looked at the clock and saw it was six. In the morning or afternoon? And I couldn't tell when I actually went back to sleep. I was still drowsy as Rebecca came back and helped me drink the water. She informed me that Rhea and Rachelle went back home to get some sleep while Happy 'the big tattooed one' and Jax 'the young blonde one' were still standing guard of my door and hospital room. She said that most of my friends were still in the waiting room hoping to speak to me, but I told her that maybe I could see them later. She could tell that I was tired and my little sister let me go back to sleep.

I woke up again only for a couple of seconds. I remembered that, but I was awake and I looked around to see that Sarah was in my room, but then I fell back to sleep.

So when I woke this time, I groaned a bit from the alarm. I blinked, trying to get my eyes to adjust to the dark with some lights on in the room, but they were dimmed. I looked around after a bit groggily and saw Happy looking out the door. I asked him, my voice still small and tired, "Hap, what's going on?"

He looked back at me and now I could see that he was talking to someone. My nurse. He looked over at the nurse again and I heard hushed goodbyes before he told me in a small voice that still held the gravel and gruffness that it usually did, "go back to sleep. Another patient tried to leave and hurt a nurse trying to go. They sounded the alarm for security. The nurse was just going around to inform the patients or their doctors. They already have the guy. Someone named Zack. He is in this sector so the closest alarm the other nurse could go to was the main one for this one...anyway, go back to sleep. Everything is fine."

Zack? No...it couldn't possibly be.

I wanted to try and get out of that thought. I asked him, "what time is it?"

"Early. Go to sleep," he grumbled as he moved back into his seat in the chair that was a bit away from my be, against the wall so he could set his head against it to sleep.

I had to admit it to myself that I did feel a little bit better that Happy was here. If anyone could ward off a threat or intruder, it would be Happy. And he had the senses of a hound dog. Even in his sleep I knew that he would hear anyone coming down the hall, no matter how quiet they were.