Chapter Thirty-Six

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

There was a fuzzy ringing in my ears that was dull but slow. Out of the darkness came the low creeping of light. It was bright and looked and orange, yellow colour behind my eyelids. What was it? After the ringing left I heard a soft, constant, and annoyingly high pitched 'beep...beep!...beep!...beep!'

My head hurt a bit too, this thudding like I was listening to a drum beat loudly in my ears, the motion in my forehead the mot, echoing to the other parts of my brain. I whimpered a bit at the pain and the tingling that came as the other parts of my body came back to me, that I could actually feel them. The tingling came in a prickly feeling, something like all of my nerves had small needles sticking in them and it hurt. I whimpered again and I heard some shuffling now. The tingling was starting to go as I heard a soft voice, "Rowen?"

Rachelle?

I groaned now, trying to open my eyes. I felt tired and my eyes were like boulders that I tried to lift. After opening them slowly once, halfway, I closed them again, the bright light burning into my eyes. I groaned slightly again, before opening them again. This time, I didn't just see the light. I looked up and saw my eldest sister above me, her blonde hair was in a messy ponytail. She had deep black bags under her eyes and her hair was a little greasy. She wasn't wearing any make-up, which was new to her I knew. She loved wearing make-up.

I saw her smile with relief, a gentle smile before she brought up her hand and gently placed it against my cheek. I felt something else hit my cheek. Something plastic that was brought closer to my face by her hand. Grimacing against it, Rachelle immediately saw the problem and she told me in a quiet voice, "it's okay. It's okay. It's just a tube to help you breathe, okay?"

I thought about what she saw, the fogginess and pain from my brain starting to leave very slowly, but now that I was trying to focus more, I felt the plastic up my noise and around my cheeks and under my nose as well. I let out a breath and nodded a bit. Rachelle moved to lean up a bit and she pressed a button. She looked down at me and told me in a calm, soft voice that comforted me, "you're going to be okay, Rowen. You were in a car accident, but you're in the hospital now."

The car?

No the truck...?

I nodded, the memory of hearing glass break and a loud car alarm coming back to me. The hospital...that was where I was? I looked around, my head not moving. Everything was either beige or white, far away things were still a little blurry. Monitors...and IV beside me...why couldn't I feel that? I clenched my hand slightly, I still didn't feel anything. And the tingling sensation came back after the motion, but it left after about thirty seconds. My brain began to make the connection. The breathing tube, the monitor beeping...the hospital. That made sense. I was in a hospital bed. I couldn't remember getting there...I must have been asleep.

I nodded and she smiled at me again. I heard a door open and Rachelle looked up and over her shoulder. I saw an Asian doctor come into the room. She looked Korean. Her long dark hair was in a ponytail and she had a clipboard in her hand. She held it to her and when she saw me, a smile came onto her face. She looked busy before, but now she was relieved.

"It's nice to see that you are awake, Rowen." the doctor said.

Rachelle smiled again and she told the doctor, "she just woke up. She's still a little sluggish."

The doctor nodded and she moved to stand beside me, making notes already on her clipboard. Since she was closer now I could see her name tag. Jennifer Kim. As I watched her write, I felt something on my hand. I looked down and moved my hand a bit, the tingling sensation gone, and now I could feel the IV move with my hand. I looked back up at the doctor before she asked me, "how do you feel, Rowen?"