Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

I was sinking...or maybe falling. All I knew was that I was going in a downward direction. I was on my back and I was spinning around. Everything was dark, or at least I was sure that it was because my eyes were closed, but I couldn't indicate any source of light. I couldn't breathe. No! Why couldn't I breathe? I opened my mouth and tried to scream and get some air, but I just felt that something sank in, like sand or a tide in my mouth. I could feel that I was whimpering but I did not express any sound from me. I was silent and felt this thing around me, something suffocating me. I began to panic. I tried to move around but my bones couldn't move.

What was going on? I can't breathe. No I can't breathe. I can't breathe.

No. No stop. Stop it!

Even though my body wasn't doing anything, inside I felt myself pounding against a wall, against something. I was shaking my head and rapidly trying to break and rip out of the cage that I was being held in. I felt my heart pumping wildly into my chest as the fear gripped me hard. I wanted out.

Let me out!

Let me out, let me out, let me out.

There was a ringing that came to my ears. It was far away at first, but it got louder and louder, as if you were standing in a field and a train was getting closer and closer. My ears were ringing loudly, the pressure making me cry out and try to put my hands to my ears, but I couldn't. I felt small tears come to my eyes. I was trapped in my body as I was falling into God only knows where and the ringing in my ears were only getting louder and louder.

Out of my eyes I could see a slow glow of light. Like a far away candle. Soon, it got closer and took up more space, making things brighter. It was coming up fast, as though I was deep underwater and was now swimming up to the surface to get that fresh breath of air.

When the light became unbearably blinding and the ringing felt as though that it would pop my eardrums, I was flashed forward with immense force. I opened my eyes and looked around wildly while taking in deep breaths. I panted as I looked around.

What was I doing in my mom's house? It was such a weird angle too. I was in the kitchen, but I seemed smaller...or everything seemed bigger. And I had to look up at everything to try and get it in my line of vision.

What was going on? I...where was the truck? The truck Eli was driving. What am I doing in my mom's house?!

I could hear that there were a couple of people walking around me. There was a radio on in the kitchen too. And I could tell that someone was watching television in another room, but the actual voices of it were unclear to me. I could just hear the vague sounds. There were other girls talking in the distance too. I could hear their voices, but it was like the wind talking. I could tell it was there but I couldn't actually understand what they were saying.

But what I heard next was a voice that itself made my heart stop beating just for a moment.

"Come on, baby girl. I know you can do it."

I looked around wildly. I suddenly realized that I was hanging onto a kitchen chair and was slightly leaning on it. I looked at it and saw my pudgy arm and fingers.

Baby fingers.

I looked up when I saw movement and saw my father come to kneel in front of me. I don't think I've ever seen him this young, or at least at easiest recollection that wasn't prompted by photos. But even then it was forced and imaginative. Not like this.

I immediately tried to walk to him, but my legs felt heavy and I almost fell to my side before I felt two hands grasp my arms. They were soft hands, protective yet loving and it felt weird to have the hands so big incase my arms as they did.