Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

            Opie dropped me off at my house and he walked up the steps with me. I heard my dogs barking and saw them in the windows. Opie walked beside me, looking at them as well before asking, “all of them yours?”

            I nodded and answered him, “yep. All four. Buddy is in the living room I think.”

            He nodded and I took out my lanyard of keys and unlocked the door. Opie stared at my college lanyard and chuckled, “you still have yours? I lost mine years ago.”

            “Jesus I would die if I lost this. My entire life is on this thing. Has been since the first day on Frosh Week and they gave us one of these in our free start up packs,” I answered as I opened the door. Immediately my dogs were at my feet, pawing at my legs excitedly, glad that I was home. I smiled down at them and leaned over the best that I could to pet them. After our greeting, I told them, “Go! Go pee!”

            Listening, the three dogs went down the steps and they ran to the front of my yard, going away from each other to do their business. Opie watched them as well and I stood up straight and leaned against my doorway. Opie asked me, “what are their names?”

            “The Australian Shepard is Molly, the Dalmatian is Sarah, and the German Shepard is Boomer,” I answered.

            Looking inside, I saw Buddy make his way to the door for me. I smiled widely and told him, “hey big guy! It’s good to see you again.”

            He walked a bit faster and I patted him, giving him a smile. I looked back up at Opie and told him, “this is Buddy, Opie.”

            I could tell that Opie was surprised to see that the dog actually was this old. I kept stroking Buddy’s head and Opie asked me, “how old is he?”

            “Old. He can take stairs, but it’s hard on his legs.” I answered, “got him as a graduation present from my dad. For going into high school.”

            “Wow, he is old then.” Opie joked.

            “Meanie.” I said back to him, a smile on my face though.

            Opie looked down at the dog, Buddy looking back at him carefully as if to make sure that he wasn’t a threat to me. Opie told me while looking at Buddy, “well, I think that I can move him up and down. You aren’t going to be one to be one hundred pounds but you look skinny as a bone do you?”

            I smiled again and Opie leaned down to pick him up carefully, not to scare or startle the dog. I petted Buddy the entire time and then watched as Opie gently walked down the stairs and to the ground. I told him, “just put him on the ground again. He’ll be able to walk around.”

            Opie nodded and carefully set my baby on the ground. I looked inside and saw that the phone light was beeping, meaning that I had a message. I groaned again, a little bit too loudly. Opie looked back at me and asked, “you okay?”

            I nodded and told him, “yeah, I just think my mom or siblings called. I don’t feel like getting yelled at right now.”

            He walked back up to me and I moved to sit down on my bench and he sat on the chair on my porch. He asked, “why would they yell at you?”

            “It’s a long story,” I sighed.

            “I’ve got time,” Opie answered.