Chapter Eighteen

************************************************

I'm surprised it took you this long to figure that out," Chance said.

"Well unlike you, drug dealing is not my specialty."

Chance looked offended. "Drug dealing is not my specialty."

I blanched. "Than what is?"

Chance's smirk widened and he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't be gross."

"Come on, you love it."

I couldn't stop my blush. God this was so wrong. Chance was a drug dealer--a criminal. He was also my boss. No one, especially a girl in my circumstances, should go for Chance Burke.

Yet there was no denying his attractiveness. And today he looked especially sexy.

His black hair was perfectly mussed. He'd forgotten to shave this morning, and a scattering of dark stubble contoured his sharp jawline. His eyes, Caribbean blue and flawless, glowed with humor despite the pressing situations.

And, like always, he was dressed impeccably.

He'd opted out of the Armani suit this morning, and instead wore jeans (obviously designer) and a navy v-neck. Black combat boots covered his feet and a pair of Ray Ban aviators hung from his shirt.

Despite his other identity, Chance looked exactly how the heir to a billion dollar company should.

"You look nice today."

"As do you. Is that skirt knew?" I didn't miss the way his eyes lingered on my thighs.

I shrugged. "My friend got it for me back in California."

"Nonetheless, you look good in it."

"While I appreciate your comment, I'd rather we talk about more pressing topics."

He looked confused. "We already covered the Platinum topic as well as Miguel. What else is there to talk about?"

Feeling brave, I lifted my head so that my eyes looked directly into his. "Your other assistants."

He froze. "What others?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about."

His gaze remained unfathomable. "Who told you?"

I was angry, but I wasn't about to sell out Cooper to Chance. He'd done me a favor and this was no way to repay him.

"That doesn't matter. You had other assistants. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Maybe because it's not your business," he countered.

"Don't pull this bullshit. I have every right to know. How many were there?"

He paused. I could practically see the gears turning as he gauged my emotions.

"Four. Only four."

I'd expected more, but four was still a fair amount. "What happened to them?"

"One and two didn't work out. Number three quit and the fourth one..." Chance trailed off. A pained expression tightened his face, and I didn't miss the way his hands shook at his sides.

"What happened to her?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

There was something in his voice that made me stop. Chance Burke was an asshole. He'd lied to me. Used me. And almost got me killed.

I'd never heard that much pain and regret in someone's voice. Let alone so much guilt. As much as I wanted information, there was no sense in opening Chance's wounds. His assistants were a thing of the past. 

Besides, he'd tell me about them when he was ready.

"Fine."

"That's it? You aren't going to pry some more?" Now he sounded bitter.

"Unlike you, I respect other people's privacy."

"Damn, you're salty this morning." Like that, our quick banter returned.

"Considering the shit that I've put up with in the past 48 hours, I think I'm entitled to a certain saltiness level."

"True. I think I have something that will cheer you up though."

"What?"

Chance reached in the back pocket of his jeans and pulled out a piece of paper. It looked like an invitation.

"What's that?"

"It's your ticket to the Ball, Cinderella."

**********************************

By "Ball" Chance meant the Crystal Gala, which just happened to be one of the most prestigious events in New York every year. Only celebrities, big-time athletes, or people with a ridiculous amount of money were invited. Not even the President is guaranteed an invitation each year.

"How'd you get that?" I asked.

Chance cocked a brow. "Have you forgotten who I am?"

I rolled my eyes. "Clearly not, but after what happened last year I'm surprised they gave you an invitation."

Last Crystal Gala had gown down in Hollywood scandal-history due to Chance. It'd been all over the news and tabloids. Mr. Burke Senior even gave a press conference to apologize for his son's actions.

"You know that asshole had it coming," Chance smirked. His eyes grew distant and I knew he was recalling last years events.

"You beat up Hollywood's hottest singer and then bedded his girlfriend. What could provoke you to do that?"

Jake Wilkinson had been all the rage last year after he released his new album. The media loved him and so did his fans. Everyone wanted a piece of what was thought to be "the next big thing".

Last year, during the closing statements of the Gala, Chance had clocked the kid while he was talking to a reporter. It had been all over the news. Jake had pressed charges, but somehow Chance's fancy lawyers got them revoked.

"Let's just say I had a little too much to drink that night. But don't worry, everything has been cleared up since then. Money can do marvelous things."

"You're disgusting," I muttered, but I couldn't stop my smile.

"You love me, darling," he smirked.

"First of all, don't call me darling. And second of all, what's the point of tonight? How does this tie into the Platinum?"

Chance shook his head. "The Gala has nothing to do with any of that stuff. Tonight is simply about having fun."

I snorted. Nothing in Chance's life revolved around fun. "You're lying."

"Fine. You caught me."

"What's tonight really about?"

"Tonight is all about me showing you how good of time we can have together."

***********************************

First of all, I'm so sorry. This chapter should have been up a month ago but I just haven't had the time to write lately.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote and comment!

-Katherine

P.S. Happy "late" Easter!!!!