Chapter 36

They arrived back to the barn just before dawn. Each of them had blood on their clothing, but to my relief none of them seemed to be injured that badly. Although, a part of me wouldn't have even cared if Chance came back with a bullet to the heart. After all, the bastard deserved it for what he said earlier.

Lucy and Kiara disappeared along with Cooper as soon as they got back, leaving Chance and I alone. I'd made up my mind that I was leaving and had already packed what little belongings I had in a bag that Rae loaned me. 

"You're leaving?" Chance asked when I took a step out of the shadows.

"Yes. It's what you want, isn't it?"

His eyes met mine. For a second it looked as if pain flickered behind his irises, but the emotion was gone the next second. "Yes. It's for the best."

I blinked rapidly to keep the tears at bay. I would not break down. I had to be strong. Chance was a dick and nobody would ever change him. 

"Did you kill Miguel?"

It was a dumb question to ask, but I needed to hear him say it out loud. I needed to know that the man who had caused me all this pain and misery was truly dead and out of my life. 

"Yes. I killed him and Cooper took care of the rest of his men," Chance muttered and ran a hand through his moused hair. Taking a life wasn't easy. As much as Chance tried to hide his vulnerability, I knew that he wasn't heartless. Killing someone, no matter how bad that person was, hurt Chance deep down. 

"Are you okay?" I asked before I could stop myself.

Chance paused and glanced at me. He looked younger, and for a second I almost felt pity for the man before me. He never meant to get in this deep. All he wanted to do was hide a way to keep his father's company for crashing and burning. All he wanted to do was to help. 

"What the hell kind of question is that?"

I huffed. "It was merely a kind gesture. No need to get upset. Now answer the damn question-are you okay?"

"We're not together anymore, Piper. You don't have to look out for my well being."

"I don't give a fuck. Answer the question."

Now he looked pissed. He stalked a few feet forward, to the point where he was less than a foot away. "I'm fine."

I took a deep breath to keep my emotions from blowing up. God, he was infuriating. "Then I guess this is goodbye."

"You're going to go straight to the police station and tell them everything I told you to, right?"

I nodded. Chance had informed me of my alibi yesterday and I'd memorized every bit of it while they were at Miguel's compound. According to Chance, the alibi was strong enough so that I would get off without any conviction. It was my only way of starting over.

"Yes. I know the plan."

"Okay," he said without meeting my gaze.

Silence fell between us and I knew that each of us were thinking about each other. There were so many things that I wanted to say to Chance at that moment, but I didn't have the courage to say anything. Thankfully, Chance was the one to break the lull.

"Look, Piper, I didn't want it to end like this."

I laughed. "Bullshit. You made it very clear to me last night that I was nothing to you this entire time. Don't try to change your mind now because the damage is already done."

"Regardless of my feelings towards you, you need to know that I never intended for you to physically get hurt when I asked you to become my assistant." Chance reached out his hand but I slapped it away before it could come into contact with my cheek. 

"Sometimes it's the ones we love that we hurt the most."

"I know," he whispered, his words barely audible. 

I was done. I couldn't handle another moment of this. Every part of me was screaming to get the hell out of there.

"Goodbye, Chance."

"Goodbye, Piper."

And, with those parting words, I left Chance Burke forever.

~

One Month Later

It was eleven o'clock at night and I had just pulled up in my driveway. I had spent all day at the hospital, visiting with my mom as she underwent another chemo treatment. She was strong and the treatment seemed to be working, but financially I knew that we wouldn't be able to afford it any longer. 

Blinking away tears at the thought of mom not being able to get the treatment that she needed, I shut my car off and headed inside the house. All of the lights were off when I entered, basking the foyer in an eerie calm. 

My hand reached out and I flicked on the switch. For a second, I expected something to pop out at me, but everything in the house was normal. Nobody was here but me.

I hung my jacket in the closest and went to go sit at the kitchen table. Since mom was in the hospital, I was the one in charge of doing all the bills and filing the household taxes. When I went to visit mom, I'd left all of the bills on the table since I wasn't done.

Sighing, I sat down and got back to work. 

I was in the process of going through today's mail, looking for the utilities bill, when my eyes landed on a black envelope addressed to myself. 

Curious, I opened it.

There were two things inside. A note and a check.

I opened the note first and my heart stopped at my eyes landed upon the familiar handwriting.

Piper,

It hit me last week that I never paid you for everything that you did for me. Spend it wisely. Also, I took the liberty of paying for your mother's hospital bills. Please give her my regards. I can't believe that it's already been a month. I'm glad that everything worked out for you. At least one of us is living the life they deserve. 

Sincerely,

CB

Like a dam breaking open, all my the emotions that I had suppressed for so long came flooding back inside of me. It took all my strength to keep myself from breaking down. Chance really did a number on me. 

I reread the note a couple more times before shifting my attention to the check. When I saw the amount listed I almost fell out of my chair. Holy. Shit. He seriously overpaid me. Shaking my head, I reread the note once more and a familiar ache settled within me. 

Was it bad that I missed him? Was it bad that I missed the man who shattered my heart into a million little pieces.

Maybe. But I didn't care.

I played with fire and I got burned, but that's what happens when you live a scandalous life.