Chapter Six

Chapter Six

As I got dressed the next morning, I still couldn't stop thinking about what happened last night.

When Chance found me in his office, he looked livid, yet there was something else in his eyes. Something that didn't look good on Chance Burke.

In his eyes was fear. Fear at realizing someone had been looking for one of his files.

But, what was so special about the stupid file? I'm sure there were many copies of the paper that talked of 'Platinum'. I didn't get what the big fuss was. After all, there were always doubles of receipts for tax and insurance purposes.

Shaking my head, I dismissed my thoughts of last night and focused instead on getting ready for work.

As I pulled on a navy pencil skirt that was on the shorter side, and my favorite white blouse, I reconsidered what Chance had asked me last night.

I didn't want to go to Starbucks with Chance, but at the same time, I felt like it was the only way to get some answers.

So, taking out my phone, I took a deep breath and sent Chance a text. It hurt my dignity to reconsider and change my mind.

Which Starbucks?

His reply was instant. I knew you'd cave.

I scoffed. Only Chance could make his text messages sound smug.

Whatever. Now tell me which Starbucks you want to meet at.

The one two blocks north of the building. It's not as crowded as the one next to the Tower.

I sighed and texted him back, telling him that I'd be there in twenty minutes.

~

I swore when I tripped again, cursing the fact that I'd worn heels. They weren't even that high, but with my poor coordination I'd already tripped three times.

Thankfully, they were surprisingly comfortable. Kate said that since they were wedges, it wouldn't feel so bad to walk in them for long periods of time.

But, then again, this advice was coming from the girl who wore six inch stilettos daily.

So, you could imagine my happiness when the green awnings of Starbucks came into view. I sped walked the last couple of steps, only managing to trip in my heel one more time.