Chapter Thirty-Five

Chance and Cooper left later that night to go to Miguel's compound. Lucy and Kiara went with them, leaving me alone with Rae. I hadn't talked much to any of the girls. To be frank, they all scared the shit out of me. Rae, by far, seemed the least threatening out of all of them.

Currently we were in the downstairs part of the barn. Rae was surfing her laptop and I had nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs. I still felt numb from the events of today and yesterday. My fight with Chance was still fresh in my mind, and I couldn't stop myself from mulling over his words.

"You were just a lay, Piper. Not even a good one."

His words were like a burning dagger through my heart. Not only did they fuel my pain, but as time went by, the hole in my heart only grew larger. I knew I shouldn't blame myself. After all, it was Chance's loss.

Still, my mind raced with all the things that I could've done differently. Things that might have been able to save our fucked up relationship, but as time went on, it dawned on me that our relationship was damned from the start.

Chance had been right.

I was nothing but the good girl who had let herself be manipulated by the bad boy. Chance had played me. He used me, and I let him.

I'd been stupid. I convinced myself that I was only being Chance's 'assistant' in order to get money for my mom. Now, I realized that, deep down, Chance did have influence over me and I'd made my decision because of the connection I felt towards him.

The worst thing about this situation was that I probably wouldn't get any money from Chance to pay my mother's medical bills. Thanks to me and my crappy decision-making skills, my mom would suffer. Just the thought of her paying for my actions made me want to grieve all over again.

I'd fucked up so much.

After tonight--after Miguel was put down--my life would never be the same. Chance would come up with some elaborate cover story for me to escape punishment for my actions. After I faced the media and police, I'd most likely be returned to my old life.

If Chance was right about his dad and the company, than Burke Industries would crumble within the next few months. I'd lose my internship for sure and be forced to return to California. My life would return to how it was, but I knew that things would never be the same.

There would still be a giant hole in my heart. I would never be able to look at a pair of blue eyes without thinking of the boy who changed my life.

After tonight, Chance would jet off to some foreign country and I would never see him again. No one would ever see the heir to Burke Industries ever again.

He'd disappear without a trace, leaving nothing but broken hearts and dead bodies in his wake.

~

Hours had passed since they left for the compound. The pain in my heart was slowly being replaced with worry. I hated Chance to the core at the moment, but I was still nervous for him and the rest of the squad. If they weren't back by five am, than I wouldn't hesitate to go after them, even if it was a suicide mission.

A part of me chastised myself for even worrying about Chance. After all, he was the man who'd shattered my heart only hours ago.

"I wouldn't stress out. Chance and Cooper are good. Really good," Rae spoke, startling me enough to make me jump.

My eyes flickered to the tiny, red-haired girl in the corner of the room. She was so quiet that I'd forgotten she was even there. Our eyes met. She gave me a reassuring smile, but it barely helped my dismay.