Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Chance replied five minutes after I sent the email.

I expected him to patronize me in his reply, or at least give me a hard time, but he simply told me to meet him in his office at six am sharp the next morning.

So here I was, dragging myself out of bed at the crack of dawn.

A yawn escaped my lips as I climbed in the shower. For some reason water always seemed to wake me up. And, let's face it, the hotter the water, the better.

Taking my time, I scrubbed my hair and body, taking extra care to shave my legs and underarms. When I was done, I wrapped myself in a fluffy towel and proceeded to pick out my outfit.

I opted for a dark pair of skinny jeans that were dressy enough for the office. I paired the jeans with a white shirt and dark blazer. I even surprised myself by pulling on a pair of black pumps.

I kept my makeup light and natural. The only thing that needed to be concealed were the dark circles under my eyes. After I hung up with my mom, it took forever for me to calm my tears, resulting in almost no sleep.

When I was done with getting ready, I grabbed my purse and exited my apartment, making sure to lock it behind me.

On my way out, I passed Mike, who was busy typing on his computer. Vaguely, I wondered if he ever left his position as doorman. He always seemed to be here whenever I came and went. I wondered if the man even slept.

As I walked by, he looked up and smiled. "Good morning, Piper. Mr. Burke informed me about you heading to the office early. Your car is waiting outside."

I frowned. "But Burke Tower is only three blocks away."

Mike shrugged. "Sorry, Piper. But I'm under strict orders, and I was told to make sure you ride to Burke Industries in the car outside."

Shaking my head, I walked outside. There, idling in front of the curb, was a familiar black Esclade. As I walked towards it, the driver's door opened, revealing Trevor, the driver who had previously driven me from the airport to my apartment.

Upon seeing me, he smiled. "Good morning, Miss Mickelson."

He walked around and opened my door. Resisting the urge to shake my head and curse Chance Burke, I climbed in. Trevor shut my door, before rounding the SUV and climbing into the driver's seat. He put the car in gear and pulled out into the never-ending New York traffic.

The drive was quick and soon we arrived at Burke Tower. I expected Trevor to pull up in front. Instead, he rounded the block and pulled into the parking garage behind the tower.

The guard manning the gate immediately opened the gate and let us through. I expected Trevor to turn right and head to where all the other employee cars were parked, but he turned left and headed down to an underground parking bay.