Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I groaned as my butt flared painfully from smacking onto the hard, tile floor. Thankfully, I didn’t wear today or else the fall would have been a lot worse.

A shadow loomed over me and I looked up, right into the most stunning pair of blue eyes I had ever seen.

There were pure blue, almost like the ocean Caribbean sea or the sky in the middle of July, and were framed by dark, long lashes. For a moment, I was held captive from them until someone cleared their throat and I snapped out of it.

Shaking my head, I took in the person before me.

He was tall—I had to crane my neck just to get a good look at him—and was impeccably dressed in light grey suit.

A black tie hung from around his neck, the exact color of his inky hair.

What shocked me though was the fact that he was so young.

Everyone else I’d seen so far here at Burke Industries was at least in their early thirties. However, this guy looked like he was barely in his twenties, not to mention he was utterly gorgeous. As in panty-dropping sexy.

Suddenly, I put the puzzle pieces together.

This was Chance Burke.

Blinking, I locked gazes with him again, only to find him glaring at me. Nonetheless, he reached a hand out to help me up. Grateful, I grabbed it thankful that I didn’t have to embarrass myself any further by getting up in this pencil skirt. It had already rode up and I didn’t want to risk anyone seeing my panties.

Chance’s grip was tight and he pulled me up so fast that I stumbled. He put a hand on my arm to steady me, and suddenly it felt as if I’d been shocked in the places where his fingers grazed my bare skin. I stifled a gasp.

As soon as he was sure I was steady, he released my arm and took a step back, scowling. I bit my lip, not sure what to do in this situation. Chance looked me up and down, very obviously must I add, before rolling his eyes and taking his phone out of his pocket.

“Watch where you’re going next time,” he growled, as he entered the elevator. Still, even as the doors closed, I couldn’t take my eyes off him.

I felt like I was in a daze, a very surreal daze. Chance Burke just totally gave me the cold shoulder. I didn’t care that much, but what happened to the cheery golden boy that the media made him out to be?

“Don’t worry about hi, honey. He’s always like that,” I pleasant voice came from behind me.

Surprised, I turned around and came face to face with a woman who looked to be in her late forties. She was plump, but her smile was kind and genuine. Her light, red hair was pulled into a bun and her coral blazer was undone. She had that friendly almost maternal look to her.

“Are you Judy?” I asked.

“Yes, I’m supposed to show you around and then give you your position.”

I smiled, relieved that someone was friendly around here. I didn’t know what I would have done if I had to deal with pompous, stuck up people all day. I probably would’ve gone mad.

“What’s the matter with him?” I blurted out before I could stop.

Crap, Piper. Learn to hold your tongue.

“Who? Oh, you mean Chance? He’s always moody, especially these days. I think he’s just stressed.” Judy shrugged.

I nodded. I guess being the hair to a multi-billion dollar company did put a lot of pressure on someone. Especially, when your face is splattered on every magazine cover in the world.