Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

My hands pounded the keyboard angrily. How the hell did they expect me to finish this three page email by lunch?

I groaned. Like yesterday, this day was already sucking big time.

I let out a large sigh and cracked my knuckles, staring at my half-finished email. I only had five minutes before lunch hour and I was only done with one page.

Technically, I wasn’t even supposed to be doing this kind of emailing, but Robert had been called into an urgent business meeting so I was stuck doing his personal emails.

I took another sip of my coffee. It had been waiting on my desk when I got back to Burke Industries this morning.

When I first saw it, I expected it to be empty or filled with something disgusting, but when I took a tentative sip, I found that it was exactly what I always ordered.

My mind had spun, knowing that the only person who could’ve put it there was Chance.

After the morning we had together, I didn’t expect his kind gesture, but then again he did owe me.

I later on realized that Chance didn’t like to owe people anything.

Fifteen minutes passed and I was still engrossed in writing the stupid email when a knock sounded at my door. Startled, I quickly ran a hand through my hair and adjusted my blouse, knowing that it was most likely some executive outside my door.

“Come in!” I called.

I pretended to look through some files as I heard the door open. Footsteps entered my office, and I glanced up, only to have my eyes meet familiar blue ones.

For a second I thought that it was Chance, but than I realized that it was in fact Chance’s father, Robert Burke standing before.

He was dressed in his usual attire—gray suit with a gray tie and white shirt. Black dress shoes encased his feet, and his sliver cufflings sparkled near his hands.

“Hello, Mr. Burke. What can I do for you?” I asked politely.

Practicing good manners, I stood up from my desk. Absentmindedly, my fingers went to smooth my pencil skirt, trying to make myself appear as professional as possible.

Normally, I’d never be this concerned with mannerisms, but when you were talking to one of the most powerful CEO's in the world, it was a good idea to be a kiss-ass.

“Afternoon, Piper. I just got released from my meeting and I was looking for my son, Chance. I don’t suppose you’ve seen him anywhere?”

Looking at Mr. Burke more closely, I saw that instead of his normal, calm demeanor, he looked stressed and tired. His brow was furrowed, highlighting his crows-feet and beads of sweat had formed in the corner of his receding hair line.