Chapter Nineteen

For some reason Wattpad wouldn't let me post the picture of Piper's dress on this chapter, but for those of you wondering what it looks like, it is a Sherri Hill dress and it's style number is #32109

********************************

When I got back to my apartment there was a garment bag lying across my bed. Attached to the front was note written by Chance.

Piper-

You look good in anything, but I thought that you'd look especially gorgeous in this dress tonight.

You're Welcome

At first I was nervous to open it. Considering the last outfit he'd chosen for me wasn't exactly my style. Nor should it have been anyone's style.

Taking a deep breath, I sat down on the bed. My hand took hold of the zipper and yanked.

I gasped.

It was stunning.

In all of my years I'd never seen something like it.

It was a two-piece dress. The color was a rich, inky black. The top half was a lace halter top with tiny black rhinestones and an open back. The skirt was just as beautiful as the top. The material was a soft, somewhat sheer black that fell to my ankles.

It was the sexiest yet classiest dress I'd ever seen.

I couldn't wait to try it on.

It was scary how well it fit. Almost like it had been pre-tailored to match every inch of me.

The top hugged my boobs and managed to suck in my chest. The skirt rested at my waist and glided smoothly over my hips.

A tiny strip of my mid-drift peaked out between the skirt of top, giving the dress a sultry edge.

Unable to resist, I twirled around. To my delight, the skirt flared out.

I sighed. I looked like a princess.

The buzz of my phone snapped me from my thoughts. I slid it open to reveal a text from Chance.

I hope you like the dress. I can't wait to see you in it. I'll pick you up at 5pm.

It was three o'clock now, so that gave me two hours to get ready. 

Crap.

~

The clock ticked 4:45 just as I was putting the finishing touches on my hair. I'd gone with a simple Dutch fish-tail.

It was nothing fancy, but the simplicity of the hair style complimented the extravagance of my dress.I'd left a couple strands out of the braid to give it a messy edge too.

Unlike my usual, natural look, I went dramatic with my makeup. After watching a couple of Youtube tutorials, I was able to make my eyeshadow smokey and sultry. I even added false lashes for an extra pop.

I also went out on a limb and added some bronzer to accent my cheekbones and give my skin a warmer glow.

Violà!

I was finally done. And not a moment too soon. Just as I was spritzing my hair with hairspray, there was a knock on the door.

Before I could answer, the door swung ope to reveal my tux-clad boss.

"If you had a key, why did you knock in the first place?" I asked.

I expected him to smirk and snark out an answer, but his eyes were still fixed on me. Painfully slow, his gaze dragged up until our eyes locked.

"Like what you see, boss?"

"A little too much, I'm afraid," he muttered, still not removing his stare.

"Well I'm not up for grabs, so please remove your eyes."

His smirk widened. "You won't be saying that at the end of this evening."

I rolled my eyes and sidestepped him to put my shoes on. They were classic black stilettos with a manageable heel.

"Whatever you say. Shouldn't we be going now? Check in is at six."

"Let's not rush," Chance's voice dropped an octave, "I'm a playboy. I'm supposed to late to these kind of events."

"But I'm an intern. I'm supposed to be punctual."

"No, Piper. Tonight you're my date. And you arrive when I arrive."

He was standing so close. Close enough for me to see the flecks of gold in his eyes. Close enough for me to smell his intoxicating cologne.

Suddenly the room felt like the sweltering Sahara dessert. My hands clenched into fists at my side and it took all my strength to take a step back.

Chance matched my distance and took two steps forward. "Are you afraid of me?"

I held my head high. "No. I'm just not that type of girl."

"Then what type of girl are you?"

"The type that doesn't want to crawl into Chance Burke's pants."

Chance faltered back a step. His eyes ignited with laughter. "You're feisty tonight. Perfect."

"Can we just leave?"

Chance sighed, but nodded nonetheless. He offered me his arm, but I brushed it off and walked out the apartment.

As we entered the lobby, Mike, the front desk man, rushed to open the door for us.

"Where are you headed tonight, Sir?"

"The Crystal Gala," Chance answered.

Mike nodded. "Be safe, Mr. Burke and Ms Mickelson."

I gave him a small smile before following Chance out the door.

Chance's McLaren idled by the curb. A scrawny valet scrambled to open it's door for me. To my delight, the dress didn't make it hard too climb into the passenger's seat.

"Aren't you supposed to take a limo to these events, or are you just trying to show off your sports car?" I laughed as Chance got in the driver's seat. 

He waited until he'd pulled onto the street to answer my question.

"Hollywood's all about flaunting what you have, but that isn't the only reason why."

"What's the other reason?"

Chance shrugged and changed lanes. "In case if we need to make a quick getaway."

I cocked a brow. "Are you expecting something to happen tonight?"

"Nothing specific. But I'm Chance Burke. Danger follows me everywhere."

***********************************************

Thanks for reading everyone! I hoped you enjoyed this chapter and I can't wait to hear your thoughts in the comments! Once again, thanks for reading and please remember to vote. Next chapter should be up in a week or so.

-Katherine