Chapter Twenty-Four

Cooper found us twenty minutes later.

By then, we'd moved to the desk. I was perched on the edge and Chance stood between my legs. Our chest were still pressed against each other and his mouth was at the crook of my neck.

Upon hearing the creak of the door, we broke apart. Both of us were breathing heavy and my skin was hot to the touch. Even Chance looked flustered.

As Cooper entered the office, I buried my head in Chance's chest so that he wouldn't see my flaming cheeks.

I heard his footsteps stop and I didn't need to see his expression to know that he was surprised.

"I see you two have been busy," he commented. His words made me blush even harder.

"You're just jealous," Chance smirked.

Reluctantly, Chance let go of me and turned to face Cooper. In his arms were three two-go containers filled with food. My stomach growled as the aroma of pancakes wafted through the air.

"Shall we?" Cooper asked.

Five minutes later, I was stuffing my face with strawberry pancakes and greasy bacon. Cooper had already finished almost half of his meal and Chance was in the process of eating his french toast.

Unable to help myself, I laughed.

"What's so funny?" Cooper asked.

I just shook my head. "All of this. Everything is so fucked up. There is a drug dealer out there who's trying to kill us. New York's most prestigious Gala was attacked last night. Chance got shot. And, yet, here we are, sitting in a weapons factory and stuffing our faces with IHOP."

On top of that, my mom was in California battling cancer.I hadn't talked to her in over a week. I didn't know if she was doing well or if she was on the verge of death. Granted, she probably knew that I was well. After all the press at the Gala last night, she had to have seen me on TV or the news.

Thinking about my mom pained my heart. She used to be the only reason why I stuck with this internship. I merely did it just because Chance would pay for her medical bills.

But now, I was doing this for Chance too. Chance and I had something. I just wasn't sure what that something was yet.

"Then why don't you just get rid of Miguel? I just got a shipment of C4. Once we locate Miguel's hideouts, I can plant the suckers and blow him and all of his men off the planet," Chance interjected while chewing his food.

Blowing up Miguel seemed like a decent idea to me, but Chance had other ideas.

"It's not that simple."

"C4 is actually really easy to use if you know what you're doing," Cooper deadpanned.