Chapter Twenty-Five

A soft jolt roused me from my sleep. For a moment, I forgot where I was. Panic clasped my heart until my eyes dilated and I recognized my surroundings.

I was still on the jet. Another jolt confirmed my theory. Still groggy, I got out of the bed. I'd fallen asleep around seven and the clock now neared nine-thirty.

When I reemerged from the bedroom, I was surprised to see Chance and Cooper awake. They sat apart but their heads were close together. Their soft whispers carried across the cabin, but upon noticing me, they stopped talking.

"Did the turbulence wake you?" Chance asked.

I nodded and settled myself on the couch. My eyes still felt heavy and sleep-deprived. Chance reached in a compartment and threw me a blanket.

"We're landing in thirty minutes, but you can still sleep if you want."

The offer sounded tempting, but I'd already slept enough. "Thanks, but I'm alright. What are you guys talking about?"

Chance's adam's apple bobbed and Cooper's gaze slid to the window. Neither of them answered.

"I asked a question." And I wanted an answer.

"We were discussing the plan for tomorrow," Cooper said. I knew it was a lie. I could read his face like an open book.

Chance said nothing, just looked at me with a peculiar glint in his eye. If he wasn't going to tell me what they were talking about, then fine. I'd get it out of him eventually.

~

It was a relief to get off of the plane a half hour later. Even though a private jet was the epitome of extravagant, flying still took its toll on me.

It was nighttime and outside the air was still muggy and warm. It felt like I was drinking water every time I inhaled. On top of the heat, there were also mosquitoes buzzing around. Typical tropic weather.

There was an SUV waiting on the tarmac as we exited the jet. Like last time, two crew members assisted with loading our bags, (weapons), into its truck.

Once they were finished, Chance got in the driver's seat, I took the passenger and Cooper was stuck with the back. As soon as Chance started the car, I cranked the air conditioner. Although I was from sunny California, the heat and I were not friends.

"What hotel are we staying at?" I asked as Chance pulled onto the main road. Surprisingly, traffic was still busy at this time of night. Miami was a lot like Vegas though in the sense that it never slept.

"Hotels are too busy. I had Judy arrange a beach house instead," Chance smirked.

I tried to keep my face neutral despite my surprise. Money sure could buy anything.

The minutes passed. Chance easily maneuvered the car through the crowded roadways. Suddenly, he took a right turn and then another sharp right.