Chapter 20

Walking into the dimly lit house I take my time to look around at the very classy way it is decorated. The house isn't huge - but it isn't small, it's a decent size. I find myself slowly falling other students I recognize but don't quite know, further into the house.

Professor Devon awaits us in the dining room, standing at the head of the table in a black dress. She is extremely beautiful - more beautiful than usual.

No longer is she in a tight pencil skirt with her hair pulled back to show off all her prominent and sharp features. Her blonde hair is in soft waves around her face and her usual piercing green eyes are calmer - almost warmer.

"Welcome everyone." She smiles at all of us. "Please take a seat." She nods to the empty seats that line the table.

I stare at the long table covered in a dark cloth, candles burning in spaced out order down the table, beautiful white plates orderly set - all of the table symmetrically set. I sit down near the head of the table, a seat or two away from Professor Devon. She smiles at everyone as they sit, waiting until everyone has seated.

"I hope you enjoy." She smiles, sitting down now at the head.

Two men - nicely dressed with vests on, come out with plates of food. Slowly setting them atop the larger plates already set at the table.

The silverware sits by our plates already, several forks and spoons are put next to the plates. I had no idea what to use for what and by the looks of it neither did the students.

I glance up across from me, meeting eyes with a tight jawed Harry. His eyes narrowed on me - but looking through me, his jaw tightly clenched and his face stoned. Even though his eyes were looking at me - he wasn't, he was just staring blankly at me.

Removing my eyes from him I look to Professor Devon who beautifully begins chatting the students closest to her with a perfect smile on her face.

I look back to Harry who is still staring right through me. I force myself to look over to Professor Devon who is nodding at whatever the student had just said.

"That's incredible." Professor Devon awes over the students story. "How about you Juliet? Have you done any volunteer work lately?" I feel my eyes widen and my stomach slightly drop.

The question - though simple, was hard to answer. I didn't want to come off as a spoiled selfish girl who never gave back to the community - but I hadn't done any volunteer work. Not that there's anything wrong with not doing that, I just haven't had time.

I never gave much though to volunteer work. Back in Loveland I just helped out my mom at the hospital when she needed it or my dad at the school. Though that doesn't quite count as volunteer work I enjoyed helping them out.

"Well um..." I clear my throat and straighten up in my seat. "I haven't had much time in college to focus on that." I admit - I've had some time, just not any time to focus. "But in high school I helped my parents out at their jobs whenever needed." I state.

"And what do your parents do?" Her light green eyes watching me, her long eyelashes outlining them, her beautiful appearance still shocking me.

"My mother is a nurse and my father is a teacher at the school in Loveland." I nod slowly as I say these words.

"Loveland? That's not too far from here is it?" She takes a fork and begins eating now. Noticing the fact that everyone has food and has begun eating I glance down at the plate.

It's some kind of dark meat, possibly steak followed with green beans and sliced potatoes - elegantly crafted onto the white plates.

"No, it's probably a thirty minute drive." I look back to Professor Devon who nods, her eyes moving to Harry.