Chapter 8

Life of the Party - Shawn Mendes

You and Me - Lifehouse

All Too Well - Taylor Swift

_________

I can hardly fathom the words that just came from his mouth. I know what he said, I heard what he said but I refuse to believe it. My brain refuses to accept it.

I already was having issues with the idea of next years being his last year here but now... It's as if the future is shoving it's way into my life. As if the future is running towards us instead of waiting paitently for us to arrive.

"New York?" I finally muster in a stutter. Louis' light eyes watch me for a moment before he replies.

"Steven offered me an entry level job but it's a job. This is the whole point of college is to get a job." He points out in a calm manner.

I can't help but still feel shocked and betrayed by these words. By his choice to leave without telling me until now. His choice to leave without so much as a warning for me.

"What about college?" My voice light but frustrated. "What about school?"

"Steven helped me get into NYU. I'm going to start going to school up there. They have a great business program and-"

Steven was helping Louis leave. Steven was helping take him from my life. I feel myself frown and I rub between my eyes to process through this simple fact of Louis leaving.

"When." I simply say in a loud voice, interrupting Louis. Louis stops and stares at me, his mouth closing.

I state at him now. Light blue eyes, sandy brown hair, the childlike personality that makes it so easy to be around him. He was leaving.

"When." I demand now. Louis takes a deep breath, running his hand over his face.

"The 15th." he replies with heavy hesitation. My eyes widen and my mouth opens slightly.

"You're leaving in three days?" My voice is on the edge of hysteria as I feel my eyes widen.

Louis doesn't reply now, his eyes lowered to the ground. I continue to stare and after a prolonged moment of silence I speak again.

"When were you going to tell me?" I ask with tears burning in my eyes.

"Jules-"

"Were you going to tell me the day before you left? Or were you just going to leave without a word?" I shout at him in anger and betrayal.

I feel so betrayed. He was leaving in three days and hadn't breathed a word about it to me. By the look on his face I don't think he was planning on telling me - ever.

"I was going to tell you." he mumbles with a frown.

"You told everyone else before me." I point out. "Does Zayn know?" I question harshly.

"I told everyone the night of New Year's Eve... I was going to tell you too but you and Zayn left." He explains himself timidly.

I have never seen Louis so quiet and ashamed. I have never felt so angry and betrayed by a friend. I don't understand, I don't understand how he can just be so calm about this.

Louis avoidance of my question about Zayn answers it. Zayn knew Louis was leaving - of course he did. Eleanor was most likely the one to tell him.

I look around the apartment and close my eyes. I should have notice how the place was slowly becoming more empty. I should have picked up on the hints.