Chapter 40

Poison & Wine - The Civil Wars

Medicine - Daughter

Skinny Love - Birdy

Stitches (Acoustic) - Shawn Mendes & Hailee Steinfeld

________________________

Zayn POV

The first thing I noticeably hear is the water dripping, the quiet noise as it plops into the water of a bowl in the sink. The noise echoes through the place and awakens me from my quiet slumber - helped with alcohol.

Sitting up, I hold my head that is thumping to the point I feel my brain may burst from my head.

My body jumps from the noise of my front door opening and closing. My eyes widening to the best they can to focus on the figures walking through the door.

The two Devils. The two girls making my life a living hell the past week.

"Get your ass up Zayn." I glare at Sarah who walks into the room, Eleanor trailing after her.

Eleanor looks around the room in disgust, her lips twisting and forming into pure disgust.

"Didn't this place get cleaned a few days ago?" She mumbles, looking around the apartment.

It wasn't that bad. Sure it wasn't clean, but it wasn't not clean. It was somewhere between the two and she is being over dramatic.

"Actually it was like two days ago." Sarah glances over her shoulder at Eleanor who begins picking through the trash.

Sarah turns back to me, pouting lips and hands on her hips. Her and Eleanor have become inseparable since the hospital. And it's driving me insane - because they have become inseparable from me.

"So I went to the hospital today." Sarah casually says. My stomach, my heart, my everything tightens - air can't reach my lungs nor my brain.

I don't even look to Sarah though. I just stare at the coffee table in front of the couch that is slowly beginning to get covered with bottles.

It's like my life is on repeat. It's all becoming monotonous, with no joy or hope. Some dreary old movie that takes place in black and white, nothing exciting happening except a guy who drinks every night.

"Do you even care anymore Zayn?" Her sharp voice invades my senses. I straighten up from the hit of words and stare directly at her.

Her wide eyes stare directly back. Her eyebrows arched slightly, challenging me, waiting for me to say something she can jump on and use against me.

"How can you even ask that." Are he only words I can respond with.

"How can I not?" She scoffs, her eyebrows knitting and her eyes setting into judgmental setting. She straightens up where she stands, moving her hands from her hips to folding her arms.

A judgmental stance to match all the rest of her.

"You haven't seen her since she crashed and stabilized her." Sarah states firmly.

That's true... I was scared, I am scared... So I left, I walked out of that hospital that was killing my hope and kept walking. I walked out until I found myself a liquor store to drown my sorrows.

Drown my sorrows until I couldn't remember anything from that night.

At least that's what I tried to do, but every time I woke up the brutal reality just seemed to smack me across the face.

"No." I grumble into my arm, sinking my head into my skin, wanting to disappear into myself forever. Not wanting to be around this cruel world at all.