Chapter 39

Harry

"Give me attention..." I whine. Draco's doing his essay... Or... Trying to do his essay, but I'm bored. I finished mine an hour ago. 

Shocker, right?

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?"

"I need on more inch. Now would you please for the love of Merlin calm down!"

"You gave me coffee. This one's on-" He chucks a pillow at my face, wearing a shit eating grin. "HEY!"

"How about this. You calm the fuck down, and we can go with Remus and Sev to look at that house, because for some reason it's their business."

I laugh. Sounds like a perfect idea to me, except the calming down part. "I'd be willing to bet that the only reason Severus wants to come with is to look at the beach and see if he'd swim in it." Draco glares for a moment, then laughs.

"Only you would think that, Hare."

I sit next to him and rest my head on his shoulder. "Can I ask you something?" he asks.

"Yeah, sure. What?"

"Your nightmare, last night... what was it about?" 

Oh... Of course that's what he wanted to ask. Why wouldn't he ask that?"

"Nothing-"

"Don't say it was nothing, Hare. It's always something."

"But-"

"Hare... When I have nightmares, and I say it's nothing, do you let it go?" he responds. 

"No..."

"Please talk to me?" He says it like he knows I don't have to, and he doesn't have to, but I want to.

I really want to.

"Well... It was the last time... I was sick, at the Dursley's..." A.K.A., worst day of my damned, stupid life. "And... they had put me in the cupboard again." It wasn't an exact memory, but I think it was based off the memory.

"It... It was the middle of winter. January or February. I was... nine? Ten, maybe? Of course, I still had to work outside, so naturally I'd get sick, but... I dunno. They didn't beat me or anything. Gave me boiling hot cider and a sandwich like they did when I got sick..."

They didn't do anything to me.

"...and locked me in the cupboard with some quilts they had in the attic. Sometimes, I would pretend to be sick for longer, just so I could eat, and be warm... That was one of those times, and I just... I was so alone..."

Maybe that was the problem.

"...A-And... They wouldn't even look at me, talk to me, anything. I was so alone and so done and..."

They should've sent me to an orphanage.

"It was scary..."

At least I would've gotten to be warm and have clothes and food.

"Scary?"

"How alone I was... We're almost done with school... I hate being crowded and I don't like people that much but I don't want to be alone with no friends or you or anybody..."

Maybe I wouldn't fear being alone.

"Hare..." He wraps his arm around my shoulders. "You'll never be alone again. Ever."

"B-"

"Listen." He's almost done with his inch, but he's writing slower. He wants to have an excuse to stay here. "I'm here, Remus is here, Hermione and Weasel are here, even Blaise, Pansy, and Sev are here, even if you four don't get along."