Pain

For a few days, Juliet received no word from Edmund. It was customary for a man to pay house visits to a woman after the engagement but she hadn't heard from him ever since he visited her about Cedric's death.

She sent a messenger to his house but all she got back was that he was busy, presumably with Captain Jack's mission.

It was difficult but she felt neglected. Of course, she didn't need Edmund to be always by her side. She just wished he would be there for her when she needed him to.

At home, Mrs Rosewood fussed over her pretentiously while Titania was always in one of her stubborn, foul moods.

She couldn't visit Syvil because she was hiding from public. She couldn't visit Jasper because he refused to see her.

Strangely, Juliet had never felt so alone in her life.

She thus decided to gather her courage and go see Jasper to confront him.

Walking up to the big mansion, she knocked on the door twice and stiffened as the door flew open.

It was an elderly maid. She gazed at Juliet suspiciously and asked, "Who is this?"

"I'm Juliet and I'm looking for Lord Jasper," Juliet answered, squaring up her shoulders.

"Lady Juliet?" The elderly maid's face lighted up in recognition. "I remembered when you came over to play with our master when you were young. What a beautiful lady you've grown to become!"

"Thank-you, m'am." Juliet smiled.

"However..." the lady trailed off nervously. "I'm afraid Lord Jasper can't see you right now."

"Why not?" Juliet asked with a tinge of annoyance.

"He's not available. I'm truly sorry, Lady Juliet," the maid said apologetically.

"Is he not available or does he not wish to see me?" Juliet demanded.

"It's not my duty to question, m'lady."

"Can I see Syvil then?"

"I'm sorry. Lord Jasper does not wish to receive any visitors any the moment."

"But I want to see Syvil!" Juliet protested exasperatedly.

Was Jasper truly so cruel to the point that he was barring her from his life? Why did loving someone made keeping her best friend so difficult?

"I'm sorry," the maid repeated, bowing again.

Juliet sighed. It was no use harassing the maid by any means. She nodded and walked out of the gates.

The moment the door to the mansion closed, she slipped in by the side. Having been to Jasper's house numerous times, she knew how to get into the house by illegal means.

Spotting an open window, Juliet looked around and slipped through it in a rather unglamorous fashion. Her dress was dirtied but it was a small sacrifice to make.

The corridors were quiet and Juliet popped into each room to alas find it unoccupied. Jasper's house was huge and she could easily get lost if she wasn't careful.

Finally, she found a room that seemed to be occupied but she couldn't tell if it belonged to Jasper. The room was furnished, formal and contained no individual taste.

"What on earth are you doing here?"

Juliet gasped and spun around. Jasper stood there with his arms folded, his face as black as thundering clouds. He closed the door behind him and raised his eyebrows.

"Jas, I'm here to apologize," Juliet whispered. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't. I didn't."

"I know."

"You knew?" Juliet asked skeptically. "Then why are you avoiding me? You're hurting me this way as well."

Jasper sighed. "I thought that you should experience the pain as well and know just how bad I feel."

"That's just plain selfish, Jas. You're doing this intentionally while I had no malicious intentions to harm you to begin with," Juliet replied indignantly.

"Call me childish, if you must then." Jasper stepped forward with a concerned look. "Look, Juliet, I don't want to hurt you anymore. I know you're torn between Lord Edmund and me and you can't choose both of us."

"What made you change your mind?"

"I missed you," Jasper admitted. "If I accepted you as a friend, at least I would have you around."

"I've missed you terribly too, Jas," Juliet whispered and rushed forward to hug him.

"Juliet, just because I agreed to this does not mean I will stop loving you," Jasper whispered into his ear. "I can't control these feelings. But if one day, you do decide to leave Lord Edmund, just remember that I will always be there for you."

"Jas!" But she didn't pull away.

"Can you grant me one request?"

"Anything, Jas."

"Can I kiss you?"

"What?" Juliet withdrew back from his arms.

"I thought you understood the reality. I'm engaged, Jas. I've a fiance."

"I do understand," Jasper said quietly.

"I just want to know how it feels like to kiss you. I won't tell Lord Edmund about it. Just one private kiss."

"I....."

"Please, Juliet."

"Fine."

Juliet gulped as Jasper took a step towards her.

"May I?" he asked questioningly.

"Yes. Just do it."

She leant her head upwards as Jasper pressed his lips against hers. He took her into his arms and the air was crackling with electricity. Juliet didn't know how to respond.

With Edmund, kissing him was instinctive and made her feel all heated up and passionate. Kissing Jasper was completely different. Whilst it was enjoyable, she felt no spark, no heat rushing through her body though Jasper seemed to feel otherwise.

Finally, they pulled away. Jasper was panting and he smiled. "That was...magical," he said.

"Yes, it...it was," Juliet said hesitantly. It wouldn't do to tell Jasper that Edmund was a far better kisser.

"I'll keep my promise. I will stay with you as your friend."

"Thanks Jas." Juliet kissed him lightly on the cheeks. "Can I go see Syvil now?"

"Well." Jasper coughed. "I would recommend you not. She has been crying for a few days now. As a man, I don't know how to deal with her."

"I will go see her then." Juliet paused at the door. "Jas, thanks for everything."

Jasper nodded. With that, Juliet left, trying to ignore the fleeting sight of pain on her best friend's face.