Argument

A/N: This is literally the first time I'm writing from a guy's POV, albeit from 3rd person. I'm not sure whether it works though.

Edmund's POV

"Speak, Gisors," Edmund demanded agitatedly. "Explain. How can this be incurable?"

"Sir, 'tis a curse," Gisors whispered hoarsely. "'Tis black magic and no herb can cure it."

Edmund could hear Lord Jasper suck in his breath but he ignored him. "Are you saying someone placed a curse on Juliet?" he asked.

"'Tis true, m'lord."

Edmund's eyes instantly flickered to Juliet. She looked pale and feverish but with her face flushed red, she was still beautiful. No, not her.

"What hackerish nonsense is this apothecary speaking," Jasper lashed out. "Lord Aughust, you can't possibly believe this crude, vile man. I suggest calling the royal physician. This Gisors isn't fit to give medical advice."

Edmund resisted punching Lord Jasper. He was always such a "prude", to borrow a word the commoners used. Of course, it must be expected. Raised as the heir of his father's estate ever since he was young, it wasn't unusual to see Lord Jasper grow up to become such a stubborn bastard.

"Gisors," Edmund frowned. "I know you aren't a superstitious man. Are you telling me right now that you believe in black magic?"

"It's not what I believe m'lord." Gisors' eyes flickered nervously to Jasper's face. "It's what I've witnessed. I've seen people die of exact same symptoms as Lady Juliet. A witch once told me of the Winona's disease."

"Nonsense." Jasper shook his head and pointed his finger at the poor apothecary. "I'm going to make sure you won't ever step foot in London. You shouldn't be allowed to treat anyone ever."

"Lord Jasper, is it truly a hobby of yours to interrupt others?" Edmund snapped and Jasper glared back at him.

"Pardon me, Lord Edmund, but what happened to all the rationality that you normally preach of?" Jasper laughed almost bitterly. "I won't allow you to endanger Juliet's life."

Insolent man. Edmund didn't bother telling Jasper that the reason why he trusted Gisors so much was because he owed his life to him.

His entire life and birth was their family's skeleton in the closet. It was painful to even think about it but the truth always lingered at the back of his head that he wasn't his father's real son. He was the product of a brief dalliance between his mother and the manservant.

He wasn't even supposed to be born. His mother had asked Gisors for a herb to purge the manservant's seed from her womb but it didn't work because Gisors had given her a poisonless herb that did nothing but induce stomachaches.

Gisors was the reason why he was here today. And he was the only one who knew the truth circumstances of his birth. Even the manservant hadn't known that he had a son when he died of tuberculosis a few years back.

If he had to bring this secret to the grave, he would gladly do so.

"M'lord?" Everyone was staring at him puzzledly.

Edmund shook the thoughts off. "Lord Jasper. Both of us care about Juliet and I'm sure we have the same intentions." He paused. That was certainly not a likeable thought. "Believe me, I'm determined to find a cure. I can't lose Juliet, like you."

Jasper still didn't look convinced but he sighed. "Fine," he conceded. "Gisors. Tell us all about the curse."

"It would be incorrect to say that it's a complete curse," Gisors said quietly. His entire face wrinkled as he spoke. "For Winona's disease to take effect, besides black magic, the victim must have consumed the spotted snake's venom."

"So someone must have had access to Juliet," Edmund said quietly. This was a disturbing thought. His gaze instantly flickered to Jasper who cringed.

"You can't honestly think that I poisoned Juliet?" he demanded. "I...lo-I'm...fond of her. She's my friend. My best friend," Jasper amended hastily.

"That's not important. We will leave it to Scotland Yard to solve this," Edmund stared at Gisors. "Is this illness truly incurable as you say?"

"'Tis true. But there are two ways to remove the curse," Gisors answered. "The first way would be to get the witch who casted this to remove it."

"'Tis ridiculous. We aren't even sure that witches exist," Jasper interrupted. "Besides, Juliet is a sweet and kind girl. Who would place a curse on her?"

"Be quiet." Edmund frowned.

"The second way would be for Lady Juliet to consume the spotted snake skin," Gisors said. "Using a special recipe to brew it would counter-effect the poison in her body."

"Goodness." Jasper winced. "Why didn't you tell us this earlier? Just get out of here and find that damn spotted snake."

"It's banned sir." Gisors gave him a pointed look. "Ever since the recent poisoning of the prince, they have banned all substances with the potential of acting as a poison. It's possible to find it in the wild but it might take years."

"Then how did this happen then?" Jasper growled, gesturing at Juliet who had her eyes closed.

"How would you feel like it if I render you unable to speak for the rest of your life, Lord Jasper?" Edmund bared his teeth. "Stop yapping so much like a woman."

"The only way would be to find a witch. All of them have a stash of the poison hidden away," Gisors continued. He seemed more equipped to tolerate Jasper incessant interruptions. "At the same time, we can find out if any of them have used it for...the wrong purposes."

"Where are we going to find a witch?" Jasper asked. "Are we going to go knocking on everyone's doors? The entire haute society would be laughing at us."

"I don't care a damn about the haute society of all things." Edmund stared at Juliet. "Gisors, I trust that you have the contacts?"

"Yes sir." Gisors bowed. "As it so happens, I do know a few ladies....of dubious origins. I will make the enquiries for you immediately."

As Gisors rushed out of the room, Jasper shook his head. "I fancy it must be useful to have an apothecary running around for you."

Ignoring him, Edmund moved to the side of Juliet's bed and placed his hand on her forehead. It was an intimate gesture. Being an unmarried man, he was touching an unwed woman with no chaperone but he cared less for impropriety now.

Juliet was dying. And he still hadn't told her that he loved her.

"I will save you. I promise," he whispered by her ear.