Moving House

Edmund's POV

The moment Edmund closed the door to Juliet's room, he turned around and demanded, "Gisors, any worthy news thus far?"

"Yes sir." Gisors bowed. "A witch living on the outskirts of London said she was paid by a woman to place a curse so that the victim contracts the Winona's disease."

Edmund frowned. He stared off into space. "Could we be mistaken? This might be a curse placed on another woman. Not on Juliet."

"Either way, it's illegal and against the law." Gisors twirled his long, brown moustache. "Besides, the witch mentioned that her client requested for her to place a curse specifically on a single young woman in her mid-twenties.."

"This is too much of a coincidence," Edmund said. "Did the witch say who the woman was? Is it that foul-mouthed Mrs Rosewood?"

Gisors shook his head. "The woman wore a cloak when she met the witch. The witch didn't know where she came from and how old she was. Least to say how she looks like. Although...."

"Although what?" Edmund demanded impatiently.

"She managed to squirrel away one of the woman's silver rings. You know how greedy these witches are, they swindle their clients." Gisors shrugged.

"Did you manage to get the ring?" He gave the apothecary a pointed look.

"Of course, m'lord, how can you doubt me?" Gisors took out a small brown, leather pouch from his pocket and handed it to him. "It took some persuading, cajoling and blackmail but I got the job done in the end."

Edmund shook the pouch and a small, silver ring dropped out. "Interesting..." he mused, turning the ring over and examining it.

"You recognise it, m'lord?" Gisors asked. "It's an interesting design. Certainly not in fashion nowadays."

"Ouroboros," Edmund murmured. "It's an ancient symbol to symbolise cyclicality, the never-ending recreation of oneself."

"Do you think the ring has any significance m'lord?" Gisors asked. "For all we know, the unknown woman might just have extremely bad taste for jewellery."

"No." Edmund pocketed the ring. "I'm extremely sure that Juliet's poisoning wasn't a coincidence. It was planned by a cult or something. Go around and make enquiries about any cult or group with Ouroboros as their symbol."

"Yes sir." Gisors raised his eyebrows. "Pardon me, sir, but I have a suggestion to make."

"Yes?"

"M'lord, I fear that it's important for you to resume your court duties," Gisors continued earnestly. "It's unbecoming of a young earl to abandon his job for a woman."

"She isn't just a mere woman, Gisors," Edmund replied irritably. "You know how I feel about her ever since I was young."

"That's why you need to keep up the appearances." Gisors lowered his voice. "If what we suspected is true, the person behind Lady Juliet's curse is still at large. We can trust no one and it's important not to draw attention."

"What about Juliet?" Edmund retorted. "I can't leave her here."

"It's best if we move her to your house until her family returns," Gisors whispered. "There are always spies about. If word gets out that Lady Juliet isn't dead, the unknown woman might strike again. This is why m'lord, you must cooperate."

"Who's going to bring her there? I've a meeting later," Edmund replied with a frustrated voice.

"Lord Jasper has volunteered. He should be returning back from his meeting soon," Gisors said.