Gambling

A/N: Some readers have problems viewing my chapter so in case there's a glitch again, this chapter has 3 pages. I initially uploaded 1 page but it was too short so I changed it.

Edmund's POV

Hidden in his cloak, he stayed in the shadows and watched the passing hoards of people. Finally, he heard the clatter of horses and observed as a horse carriage appeared into view.

A man got off the carriage and darted into a dark alley.

Target arrived.

He slipped out of the shadows and followed the man.

Finally, the man reached infront of a door. He banged the knocker thrice and the door opened. A large, bulky man stepped out. The man handed him a piece of paper. As the bulky bodyguard examined the paper, the mysterious man looked around and Edmund leant back into the shadows.

"Go in," the bulky man said gruffly. And both men disappeared into the house.

Edmund strode straight to the door with the hood of his cloak up to disguise his face.

He knocked on the door thrice as well and the door slammed open.

"Who are you looking for?"

"I'm here to try my luck at gambling," Edmund said in a low voice.

"Hm." The man surveyed him for a moment. "Who recommended you?"

"Pierre," Edmund said easily. Pierre was one of the men who ran the den and he was a spy for Captain Jack.

"Fine. Come right in lad."

Edmund stepped into the dimly-lit room. The gambling den stank of smoke and cigars. Carefully, he navigated through the crowds of commoners before stepping back into the shadows.

Many of the people here were commoners. Disillusioned by life and poverty, they have resorted to gambling their savings in the hope of earning a fortune.

Pity they didn't know that the gambling here was rigged.

Edmund scanned the crowd and his eyes zeroed in on the target.

Sir Bernard.

Sir Bernard was leaning over the gambling table, his eyes lit up in anticipation. He didn't wear any expensive clothes, probably to disguise his status so that no one would realize that he's the Duke of Delcomn.

When the dealer revealed his cards, Sir Bernard's face crumpled in disappointment. He took a swig of his crude beer and his lips puckered in disappointment.

Edmund looked around the room. Amidst the crowd of gamblers, there were a few bodyguards silently observing the people, just like him.

He watched as one of the bodyguards approached Sir Bernard and jerked his thumb upstairs. Sir Bernard's face turned into one of surprise and shock. The bodyguard caught his arm and pushed the noble upstairs roughly.

Edmund moved swiftly. But when he got to the bottom of the stairs, two bodyguards blocked him.

"What do you want?" Both bodyguards flexed their muscles and drew out their sharp, pointed knifes.

"I'm here to see your owner," he whispered gruffly. "Convey to your master that I'm Earl Aughust."

Both men withdrew back, their eyes wide with fear. Edmund's lips curved into a half-smile. His name was always linked to Captain Jack for they were sworn brothers. Captain Jack, despite being a noble, commanded much influence in the underworld and the sheer mention of his name would inspire fear.