Meeting

A week after the dance, a glossy, gold-engraved letter arrived at their doorsteps.

Earl Edmund Aughust cordially invites Lady Helen Rosewood, Lady Juliet Rosewood and Lady Titania Rosewood to a formal dinner at the Chateau this coming evening. A horse carriage would be sent ahead of time to transport the guests.

Juliet Rosewood traced her fingers over the fancy invitation. She wondered if she would meet her mysterious dance partner there. It had been a week since the dance but she still dreamt of his emerald green eyes at night. Although Mrs Rosewood demanded time and again who the mysterious man was, Juliet was unable to give a satisfactory reply. She was only told to "keep her eyes open" as he might be a potential bridegroom.

"Sister! Are you ready?" Titania's musical voice chimed from the other room.

"As always," Juliet answered, gathered her skirts and prepared herself to go out of the house where the horse carriages awaited them.

*******

"Do I look radiant?" Titania demanded as she swished her ice-blue gown.

"You look wonderful, as usual," Mrs Rosewood snaps. "Juliet, stop slouching. Give a more presentable image. We are meeting an earl, for goodness sake."

Juliet looked down at her plain maroon gown and echoed dutifully, "Yes, madam."

Juliet knew she couldn't resent her sister but given their state of finances at the moment, Mrs Rosewood couldn't tailor silk dresses for both of them and since it was wasted on her, most of the new gowns were given to Titania. Still, she wished she looked half as pretty as her beloved sister. It was shallow indeed but she couldn't help it.

"Welcome to Aughust Manor," a frilly housekeeper in her late fifites called Mathilda greeted as they arrived at the doorsteps. "Earl Aughust awaits you."

She led them into a grand dining room where most of the guests have already been sitted. Sitted right at the end of the dining table was Edmund Aughust himself. Juliet longed to catch a glimpse of him but since he was too faraway and probably wouldn't waste a look on her, she resigned herself to a long night of chatter and dining.

"It's delightful to see all of you here. Let the feast begin!" Lady Irina Aughust, Edward's mother, chimed merrily and everyone picked up their cutlery at the same time.

"Wonderful, wonderful wine," Mrs Rosewood announced loudly and everyone laughed.

"Indeed, Lady Rosewood, it's the finest Bordeaux wine," a deep voice sounded out.

Juliet looked up in surprise. The voice sounded familiar. It belonged to Edmund Aughust himself. Was he the one who danced with her? Impossible. An earl would never ever fancy her. It must have been her own imagination playing tricks on her.

Meanwhile, Titania whispered, "Is he not a good catch, Sister?"

"Come again?" Juliet asked. "Who are you referring to?"

"Earl Aughust!" Titania's eyes glowed. "He seems like a fine gentleman."

"Oh, really?" Juliet's face paled. She knew the signs. Titania was interested in Edmund Aughust and no man so far had managed to resist her charms. She knew she shouldn't have spent her time thinking about Edmund Aughust who was better paired up with another beauty like Titania.

In other words, she had no chance against Titania. Still, her sister's happiness mattered more to her than anything although she felt pity for Sir Bernard who was still deliriously in love with Titania.

"Maybe you should approach him later," Juliet replied weakly.

"Yes, I should," Titania mused while darting furtive glances at Edmund Aughust who was calmly drinking his red wine and remained a silent observer of the chatter and conversation.