Affair

A/N: Hey guys, in case you haven't read the chapter whereby Edmund saves Juliet when she's drowning, it's the one infront of the cast announce chapter titled "Safe and Sound". I accidentally uploaded in the wrong order and didn't realize until later. Sorry!

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Juliet repeated for the tenth time. She looked around the room dubiously.

It was decorated in a very simplistic manner. There was only a bed and the white-washed walls didn't look the slightest appealing. Moreover, there was almost a gloomy feel to everything.

"I assure you, Juliet, that this is the best mental asylum in the country," Jasper said reassuringly. "Syvil would be safe here. She can recuperate well."

"I heard that there are physical abuse and electric shocks. Have you checked that?" Juliet asked anxiously.

"Juliet, those are just rumors." Juliet sighed. "The head of this place is my good friend and a very respectable man. I told him to keep an eye on Syvil."

"Well, don't you think this room is a little sparse? I think some flowers would do better," Juliet continued a little hysterically.

"Juliet." Jasper placed a hand on her shoulder to calm her down. "We don't want Syvil to use anything in the room to hurt herself. Don't worry, she will be fine here."

Juliet teared a little as her gaze flickered to Syvil who was sitting on her bed and staring blankly ahead. Syvil had a slight baby bump but she didn't seem to be aware that there was another life inside her.

Juliet didn't know what to do with her lifeless friend. Just the sheer thought of not being able to see her regularly broke her heart.

"Has Duke Roman passed on any message?" Juliet asked worriedly.

Jasper avoided her eye. "No. Last time I heard, he's engaged to another debutante. And it's not just any girl. It's Syvil's own sister, Samarine."

"That bastard," Juliet hissed. "How can he be so insensitive?"

"'Tis not entirely his fault. Besides, it was a scandalous affair. I doubt any man would accept a woman bearing another man's child."

Juliet walked towards her best friend and said comfortingly. "Syvil. I need to go now but promise me that you will stay here and rest well."

Syvil looked up to her and her lips crinkled into a wistful smile. "It's very nice here. I like the scenery. Is this our marital home? Freddie's house is indeed nice."

"Well....wel...yes, it's," Juliet coughed. "It's nice. He has a good eye."

"Don't worry about me, Juliet," Syvil said with a ghost of a smile. "With Freddie here, I will be fine." She gestured to Jasper who looked a little put out.

"Yes, indeed." Juliet looked at her sadly and walked back to stand next to Jasper.

Suddenly, she remembered her promise to Sophie. "Jas? I've a favor to ask of you."

"Just name it and I will do it," Jasper said, his expression softening.

"Will you meet Sophie?" Juliet asked.

"Sophie? Your parlour maid?" Jasper cocked his head to the side. "Whatever for?"

"She fancies you." Juliet grinned.

His face hardened. "Is that why you're trying to set us up?" he asked with a tinge of annoyance.

"Do you despise her for her status?" Juliet narrowed her eyes. "I never knew you were such a narrow-minded person."

"It's not that," Jasper said frustratedly. "I'm sure that Sophie's a nice girl but I don't have any feelings for her."

"Feelings can be cultivated."

"And why doesn't that apply to us?" Jasper retorted.

"I thought you promised to move on!" Juliet gasped.

He shook his head. "I did," he gritted. "But wounds need to be healed. You don't have to keep pushing it into my face. It's bad enough that I've to witness Edmund kissing you but for you to force me to meet a girl whom I've no feelings for is just insensitive."

"Please, Jas," she pleaded. "Just one meeting. It will mean a lot to her and me."

"I don't see how it's going to help."

"Maybe you will like her a lot!" she exclaimed. "Maybe you will see her as a love interest."

"I doubt that." He scowled.

"Please," she pleaded again. "Sophie will be devastated if you refuse this small request."

Jasper stared at her for a moment. Finally, he sighed and relented. "Fine, just one meeting. But if it doesn't work out, it's not my fault."

"Thank-you," she breathed with relief.

************

When Juliet returned that day, Sophie immediately arrived in the palour, looking flustered and worried,

"Sophie." Juliet smiled. "I asked Lord Jasper and he agreed to meet you just this once."

Instead of exclaiming in delight, Sophie's face turned red. "M'lady, there's trouble."

"Trouble? Did something happen to Edmund?" Juliet gasped.

The maid shook her head. "No, it appears that Lady Titania has been caught in bed with Baron Cumbrust and she has been dragged infront of the women's council to be judged."

Juliet's faced pale. The women's council was not literally an actual council established by the Queen. It was an informal group consisting of the most powerful women in the society and whenever a scandal such adultery broke out, the woman in question would be forced to face a "trial".

The worst punishment was exile from the haute society. That was possibly worse than death for a woman of noble ranking.

"I need to go... see her," Juliet muttered and hurried out of the door.

"M'lady, your coat!" Sophie called out.

Instead of turning back, she just boarded the carriage and left.