Friendship

"Syvil!" Juliet gasped in delight at the sight of her good friend the moment she got down from the carriage.

"Juliet!" Syvil hugged her and smiled. "I haven't seen you in awhile. You look thinner though."

"Well," Juliet started to explain the strange tale of being poisoned but she stopped. Edmund had forbidden her to breathe even a word to anyone and it was strange to be unable to trust anyone. Still, she had to keep to her promise. "I've just been busy lately," she finished.

"Indeed." Syvil cocked her head to the side. "Rumors have been flying around that you're staying at Lord Edmund's residence. Is this true?"

The situation was actually extremely funny. The haute society had never taken much notice of her but just when she began associating with Edmund, gossip started to fly around.

"'Tis true," Juliet answered. "But it's at Lady Irina's request. She felt in need of some female company and she thought of me."

"Oh." Syvil seemed disappointed. "I thought Edmund had invited you there. Are you interested in him?" she asked brightly.

"No!" Juliet replied instinctively and blushed. Mercy, she was a bad liar. "He's too good for me," she finished lamely.

"He's delish." Syvil licked her lips and Juliet stared at her friend in horror. "I bet he would be fantastic in bed..." Syvil giggled.

"Shush!" Juliet laughed. "As ladies, we shouldn't talk of such crude things."

"Damn those rules for the moment," Syvil muttered. "Juliet, I asked you here today because I've a favor."

"Indeed?" Juliet replied puzzledly.

Syvil tugged her arm and led her to the courtyard. After making sure no one was listening, she leant in and whispered, "I think I'm pregnant."

"Pardon?" Juliet took a step back and then laughed. "You're joking, aren't you Syvil?"

"I'm not," Her best friend answered nervously. "The monthly bleeding stopped for a few weeks and you know that I'm never late."

Juliet took in the truth slowly. Between both of them, Syvil was always the responsible one. The one who obeyed the customs and rules. The one who tolerated her domineering mother, Countess Andrea, who always had numerous tricks up her sleeve.

"Syvil, calm down," she whispered. "Your wedding's taking place next week. It really doesn't matter. You can pretend that the child was conceived during your honeymoon."

"That's the problem!" Syvil burst into tears and she lowered her head.

Juliet frowned. "Syvil, I don't quite get the situation here. It's just a matter of weeks. No one will notice."

"You don't understand." Syvil shook her head. "The baby's not Freddie's." (A/N: Freddie is Duke Roman.)

"Who else can it be?" Juliet stared at her best friend.

"I can't say. I really can't," Syvil sobbed. "If I spill the truth, my reputation will be ruined."

"Fear not," Juliet whispered and placed a hand on her friend's shoulder. "Tell me who it is and we will think of a way to solve it."

"I feel utterly ashamed," Syvil cried out. "You must forgive me."

"Why would I not forgive you?" Juliet smiled. "You're my best friend, possibly my only one."

"Promise me that you won't kill me," her best friend begged.

Juliet stared at Syvil puzzledly. Why would she be angry at her? Unless....unless the baby's father is Edmund. No, please no.

"It's not Edmund, is it?" she asked sharply, her heart thudding with trepidation.

Syvil looked surprised and stunned momentarily. "Of course not!" she exclaimed. "While he's handsome, he certainly can't be bothered to give anyone the time of his day!"

Juliet nodded, relieved. She didn't know what she would do if she found out that Edmund had fathered a child from an illicit affair with her best friend.

"It's Bernard," Syvil said in a rush.

"Come again?" Juliet asked, shocked. "Sir Bernard? My sister's fiance?"

"Yes! I'm sorry Juliet," her best friend said tearfully. "I didn't mean for this to happen. I love Freddie so much. I didn't know what came over me."

Juliet honestly didn't know what to say. On one hand, Syvil was her best friend, the one person who was always kind and non-judgemental towards her. On the other hand, Titania's happiness was at stake. By custom, Syvil would have to marry Sir Bernard.

If that happened, what would happen to Titania? Without Sir Bernard's support, their finances were literally in ruin.

"Have you talked to Countess Andrea of this?"

"My mother?" Syvil's head bobbed up in shock. "She's the last person I would tell this to."

"True."

Juliet knew for a fact that Countess Andrea would disown Syvil and dismember her if she knew of her daughter's pregnancy.

"Why were you so foolish, Syvil?" Juliet frowned.

"Blame me for my foolishness, if you must, Juliet," Syvil continued tearfully. "Sir Bernard invited Freddie to his house for a dinner. As he had to attend to some court matters, I was due to take his place at the dinner as his future wife and Duchess. Both of us drank too much of the wine and the next morning, I found myself in bed with Sir Bernard. 'Tis an accident."

"You need only say one word, Syvil," Juliet replied. "If Sir Bernard had strung you along and taken advantage of you intentionally, I will kill him for hurting you and my sister."

"You must help me, Juliet," Syvil whispered. "I'm at my wits' end now. You're practically my sister. I've no one else to depend on. Can you imagine my helplessness?"

"I understand." Juliet hugged her best friend. Syvil had been there for her when she got bullied by Mrs Rosewood and heartless men. How could she sit behind when Syvil was in trouble?

"Rest assure, I will convey your message to Sir Bernard," she continued. "Both of you must sit down and he must declare his intentions about the baby, you and Titania."

"Thanks, Juliet," Syvil whispered.

"What are friends for?" Juliet sighed