Secrets

Gisors slipped past the shadows and walked into the dark alley. The moonlight shone brightly and it was the only thing guiding his way.

When he reached the dead end, he saw someone waiting for him.

"M'lad, Gisors, you've finally arrived," the woman cackled.

"Madame Favela," Gisors said stiffly.

"Don't call me that!" The witch waved her hands. "That makes me sound old. Call me by my first name. Didn't you once coo my name by my bedside?"

"Stop mentioning the past, Helena." He scowled. "Have you done what I requested of you?"

"Yes." Helena Favela cackled. "But there's a price to pay for it."

Gisors nodded and took out a brown leather pouch. He handed it to her and she opened it hungrily.

"Naw, this isn't enough," she grumbled, taking out the silver coins with a displeasing frown. "'Tis too small a price for what I've to reveal."

"Don't be too greedy, Helena," Gisors warned.

"I ain't greedy, I'm telling you. Give me what the information's worth or leave it."

Gisors took out any pouch and gave it to her. Gold coins slipped into the witch's hands as she opened it. She looked up with a satisfactory grin. "My, my, I didn't know your master was so gracious."

"Helena," Gisors said warningly.

"Alright," she drawled. "I called on some of my sister witches and it appears that Juliet's parents have been involved in some shady business," she said slyly.

"Shady?" Gisors frowned.

Helena Favela smirked. She was indeed a queer sight with her purple gypsy outfit and huge bangles. "You won't believe this but Lilian and Henry Rosewood were in the Ouroboros clan."

"What?" He took a step back. "'Tis impossible. Is this one of your dirty tricks again?"

"Gisors," she snorted. "Why would I lie to you? I'm a businesswoman. If you give me money, I give you trustworthy information. Besides, if I cheated all my customers, there would be hell for me to pay."

"Impossible," Gisors repeated. "They were such honorable, respectable people."

"Everyone hides their dark sides," she replied. "Though I must say, they weren't all bad through and through. Don't forget, I owed them before and they are loyal people."

"But what could have transformed them into traitors?" Gisors repeated under his breath.

"Mercy's sake, Gisors," Helena said in a disgusted voice. "Would you let me continue instead of repeating everything I've said?"

"Carry on."

"It appears that they were just a little too greedy and joined the clan without knowing the consequences," she said darkly. "They didn't realize that the clan consisted of French traitors and they tried to back out when the clan's leaders told them to sneak some assassins into the queen's court."

"An assassin's attempt?" Gisors widened his eyes. "'Tis a crime punishable by execution."

"Indeed." She nodded gravely. "'Tis why they tried to escape. They were on their way to get some tickets so that their entire family can sneak abroad in one of those merchant ships but the Ouroboros clan found out."

"So they killed them?" Gisors twirled his moutache. "The price of betrayal is death....But why would they want to kill Lady Juliet?"

"The Ouroboros clan never forgets," the witch said darkly. "Why do you think I tried to escape even though I'm a sister of the darkness? The clan has their own witches which are far more powerful than me. They are everywhere, waiting to ambush us."