The Runaway

A/N: Hi guys, I'm back after disappearing for many months. I kind of hit a roadblock many months back and lost my interest in writing but now, I'm back and I understand my fans have left and are disheartened due to the lack of updates. Sorry about it and I don't blame you guys because I would have been quite pissed if I read a half-finished story. Anyways, here's a new chapter. Do enjoy. 

There was something liberating about running away. Juliet hadn't expected to feel this way. Yes, she had expected to feel worried or tired but the moment she was out running down the road, the sliver of freedom gave her immense excitement. When was the last time she felt this liberated?

All these years, she had been stifled by her step-mother's and society's expectations. She was finally free from oppression.

Except...the sweet taste of freedom was tinged with immense sadness whenever an image of Edmund surfaced in her mind.

It's all for his own good. Juliet told herself firmly. She would never match up to him while the beautiful and elegant Caroline clearly did.

Suddenly, it occurred to her that she had escaped hastily and had no idea where she was going. Pausing to catch her breath, she looked down the dusty, deserted road and trembled slightly. She was alone in the wilderness now when just days ago, she had a lovely fiance and a home.

Edmund.

No, don't think about him. Juliet hobbled forward slightly, wincing at the pain. She had stumbled over a huge rock and had sprained her leg. She had no idea where she was going and where she intended to head towards. 

Suddenly, she heard the clacking of the horses' hooves and she glanced up in surprise. A horse carriage was heading her way.

"Sire! Please help!" Juliet shouted as she raised her hands. The horse carriage came closer and closer.

"Sir! Please save this poor damstrel!" she shouted. 

But the horse carriage passed her and disappeared into the distance. Juliet lowered her head in frustration and stared at her feet.

She was a fool. A worthless, wretched fool who couldn't even succeed in running away. She wondered what Edmund was doing now. Had he thought that she had run away from marriage? Maybe he had given up on searching for her. Maybe he had declared that she was dead for she was nothing but an ungrateful, worthless bride.

"What's a lady doing on the road?"

Wiping her tears, Juliet looked up. A tall, handsome lad wearing a straw hat was staring down at her. The first thing she noticed was that he had bright blue eyes and he was wearing a farmer's clothes. He couldn't be much older than her.

"Are you okay?" He held out his hand. Embarrassed, Juliet took it and clumsily climbed up to her feet.

"Yes, I'm okay. Thank-you sir," she replied gratefully.

"It's getting late. What's a fair lady like you sitting in the middle of the road? 'Tis is dangerous, did you parents not teach you that?" The lad laughed.

"I...I ran away from home sir," Juliet said truthfully and almost slapped herself for saying it. This wasn't something she should broadcast to everyone. 

"Aye, that happens to everyone once in a while," the boy answered cheerily. "My name's Francis. Glad to meet you m'lady." He held out his hand. 

Shyly, Juliet shook his hand. "I'm Juliet sir."

"Do you need shelter? You can stay at our place," Francis smiled.

"'Tis would be improper." Juliet was taken aback by his invitation and while grateful, she did not think it was appropriate to live in the same house as a single man.

"Fear not, m'lady," Francis laughed. "I live with my parents and siblings. We operate a straw mill near here. It won't just be the two of us."

Juliet was hesitant but she had nowhere else to go so she shyly said, "Thanks so much, sire."

"It's my duty to save a beautiful lady from potential homelessness." Francis smiled. "Follow me." He trudged ahead in the north-east direction.

Juliet looked behind her shoulders. She could still see the tip of Edmund's castle which was nestled inside the forest from here.

Don't think of him. Men are fickle. They will forget you within a day. 

"Lady Juliet! The day is getting dark. It would do us no good to dally," Francis called out.

Juliet looked up and realized she was far behind. "Hang on!" She forced a smile and hurried behind Francis.

**********

After an hour of walking, they finally reached a tall, impressive straw mill.

"Your family operates this?" Juliet said, impressed despite herself.

"Aye. All the families here either farm or help out at the straw mill. My family has a plot of land to grow vegetables and fruits and I help my mother and sisters in that area from time to time but I'm mostly in charge of the strawmill as I'm the only man in the family excluding my honoured father," Francis answered.

"How many sisters do you have?" 

"Two, Sarah and Millet. Both are unmarried and my parents can't wait to wed them off." Francis rolled his eyes.

"'Tis understandable." Juliet nodded. "A girl of a coming age should be wedded off."

"Such old-fashioned thinking," Francis pulled a face. "Pardon me but my parents have often critiqued me for having unconventional thoughts. I think this whole arranged marriage matter is pure ridiculous."

Juliet raised her eyebrows. No one actually voiced that kind of thoughts in public. 

"Francis, are you back?" A woman's voice called out.

"Aye mother, I've brought back a guest," Francis said cheerily and bounded into the house.

Shyly, Juliet followed after him and entered the house. She saw Francis hugging a middle-aged woman. His mother peered up at her. "Are you Francis' acquiantence?"

"No, m'am. I....I..." Juliet stuttered, unable to explain her situation.

Luckily, Francis saved her by saying, "Mother, Juliet is having some difficulties at home and she would like to stay with us for a few days."

"'Tis not a problem. We have a spare room." Francis' mother smiled warmly. "Please follow me and I will take you to your room."

Francis grinned and said, "I will go help Sarah and Millet in the kitchen."

Juliet hurriedly shuffled after Francis' mother and she was soon led to a small, slightly squashed bedroom.

"I'm sorry if this bedroom is tiny but if you feel claustrophobic, do let us know. I will get Millet or Sarah or Francis to switch with you," Francis' mother said apologetically.

"Please don't, m'am, I'm fine with this." Juliet bowed.

When she looked up, she found Francis' mother staring at her curiously. "If you don't mind me asking, Lady Juliet, may I know if you are running from a...scandalous situation? Fear not, I will not judge you but you must understand I don't want anyone of dubious background to harm my family."

"M'am, I merely had a personal matter. Fear not, it's not a scandalous matter. I've not committed adulterly or stolen anyone's husband." Juliet bowed again.

Francis' mother nodded and smiled. "Then please do rest well. I will go prepare dinner and let you know when we are ready to serve." She disappeared and closed the door, leaving Juliet alone. 

Juliet looked at the bare walls of her room. She was safe here thanks to Francis and his family.

So why does her heart ache so much?