Argument

When Juliet got back from the visit to the witch, she laid awake all night with questions circling her mind. 

Who wanted her parents dead?  

Who wants her dead now?

Is someone watching me, waiting for the moment to strike?  

The next morning, she woke up with a headache and dark, shadowy eye rings from the lack of sleep. The moment she got up, Mrs Rosewood fluttered in with a bright smile on her face.

"Darling, Juliet, Lord Edmund is here," she chirped. "Get dressed quickly and come downstairs."

Edmund.  Was he the person at Whitechapel last night? More importantly, did he dare to betray her?

Juliet put on a sapphire blue gown and proceeded to the parlor. The minute she saw Edmund, standing there looking tall, regal and handsome, her heart fluttered nervously.

"Mrs Rosewood, can you give us a moment alone?" Edmund asked politely

"Why, sure." Her step-mother promptly disappeared.  She was alone with Edmund now.

He turned to face her and Juliet took a step back.

"Where were you last night?" Edmund gritted through his teeth. His eyes were burning brightly.

"I...I...." Juliet gulped. "I was...visiting Syvil."

"Does Syvil happen to live at Whitechapel?" Edmund took a step forward. "You were at Whitechapel last night. Admit the truth."

Juliet squared her shoulders and glared at his imposing figure. "Yes, I was at Whitechapel. What about you? Why are you there as well?" she retorted.

"Don't change the subject," he snapped. "I recognized the crest on the horse carriage you were in. It belonged to Lord Jasper's family. How can you betray me?"

"Pardon?" Juliet raised her voice. "How can you talk about me betraying you when you are the one at fault here?"

"Clarify."

"You were at a whorehouse, The Seductress. Admit it if you're a man."

"Yes, I was there."

Juliet's heart sank. So it was true. "You cheated on me?" she whispered hoarsely. "After you professed your love? You lied to me all along."

"What?" Edmund stared at her. "Whatever do you mean?"

"You were at a whorehouse. Any man who visits that kind of place has no honorable intentions," Juliet lashed out, her eyes brimming with tears.

To think that Edmund was just another man who lied to her.

"Mercy." He shook his head. "I did not visit there to patronize the street whores. I was there to settle some business."

"So you're telling me you don't know who Caroline is?" Juliet demanded.

For the first time, Edmund's face faltered. "Yes, I know her but not in the way you think."

"You lie," Juliet whispered.

"It's truth," he replied in a frustrated voice. "It's a long story on how I met here but trust me, I've never had any sexual relations with her." He reached out to touch her and she cringed back.

"Get away from me." Juliet slapped his hands away. "Get your filthy, whore-touch hands away."

"You're being very disrespectful here," Edmund whispered fiercely. "Might I remind you that I'm still an earl and your fiancee. You've no right to speak to me in that tone. Especially after your rendezvous with Lord Jasper."

"Rendezvous?" Juliet exclaimed with anger. "I did not consort with Jas in any filthy way. He merely escorted me to visit the witch. Unlike you and your filthy Caroline."

"He merely escorted you?" Edmund roared. "Those are nothing but lies. Everyone knows his intentions about you. You want me to believe that both of you really went to visit the witch for some reason? These are all nothing but excuses to cover up your affair."

"Why..you..." Tears streamed down her face. How could he say all these hurtful things to her? It shattered, sliced and smashed her heart into pieces. Oh, that despicable and cruel man.

"Besides," Edmund continued. "Despite Caroline's shady past, she's a good, loyal, trustworthy woman."

"You're still defending that disgusting whore," Juliet whispered fiercely. "Are you implying that I'm not as worthy as her?"

"You read too much into my words. Can you return back to reason, Juliet?"

"I hate you, Edmund, I hate you." Juliet raised her hand and slapped him.

There was a moment of shocking silence as the parlor went quiet. Juliet heard herself breathe heavily and she dropped her hand.

Did she just slap him?

"Edmund..I...I..." Juliet stuttered.

"Say no more, Juliet. I understand your intentions now," Edmund said stiffly. "You do not trust me and choose to believe silly rumors about Caroline and me. Moreover, it seems as if you have feelings for Lord Jasper despite everything you've said."

There was a red mark on his cheek and he turned away and walked towards the door.

"Edmund! No! Wait, please!" Juliet called out. "I...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to slap you. I mean...I was in a fit of anger and I wasn't thinking...."

Edmund turned towards her. He looked so frightening now- all cold and unfriendly.

"You've disappointed me, Juliet," he said.

With that, he disappeared out of the door without so much as a backward glance.

"Juliet, what on earth happened?" Mrs Rosewood appeared. "Did you anger Lord Aughust? How many times have I told you to act coy and docile infront of him?" she lashed out.

Juliet didn't reply. Instead, she turned around and walked back to her room.

She finally understood how Syvil felt when Duke Roman abandoned her.

It felt as if her entire heart had been torn out and trampled on the ground by the man she loved.