The Lioness

Edmund's POV

The moment Edmund disembarked infront of the whorehouse, he was surrounded by a bunch of whores.

"Hello there, mister," a woman purred. "I promise to serve you in the wildest ways you can possibly imagine." She grabbed his arm and ran a finger down his shoulder.

"Don't listen to Lisa, I have many tricks up my sleeves," another woman cooed. 

Edmund shook her off irritably. "If you want to stay alive, get off me. I'm here to see Caroline."

"Mistress?" One of the whores raised her eyebrows. "She doesn't meet anyone as they wish."

"Tell her Edmund Aughust is here to see you." Edmund narrowed his eyes. "And make it quick for I'm here on an urgent matter."

"Such an uptight fellow," the whore muttered and disappeared inside.

As numerous men lumbered into the whorehouse half-drunk, Edmund stood by the side, trying to ignore the piercing pain of the cold wind.

"Why, why, why, isn't it Edmund Aughust?" 

Edmund looked up and found himself staring in the face of the old fart, Sir Bernard.

"Greetings, Sir Bernard," he said curtly.

"What's the honorable Edmund Aughust doing at the whorehouse?" Sir Bernard smirked. "Aren't you getting married? I know, you are looking for a little fun before you are bound by marriage life."

"This is none of your business," Edmund gritted through his teeth. That foul man was getting on his nerves. One of these days, he might lose control and punch that lecherous man for everything he had done.

"What do you think your mother would say about you visiting the whores here?" Sir Bernard raised his eyebrows.

Edmund smirked. "I think you should worry about yourself and take care of your finances first. I hear you've racked up a lot of debts. Be careful your head don't end up on the chopping table."

"You-" Sir Bernard held up his fist.

Edmund raised his eyebrows, welcoming the challenge. 

"Gentleman, what are both of you doing?" 

Both men spun around. "Caroline." Edmund nodded in acknowledgement.

"Sir Bernard," Caroline said pleasantly. "I'm surprised you are back here again. Haven't I said that the debts must be paid before you can step into my establishment again?"

Sir Bernard's ugly face crinkled into a pleading smile. "Caroline, you are the most beautiful women I've ever met, you know that I can't do a day without trying my luck at the tables."

"Pity your luck has run out." Caroline's face hardened. "Men!" At her call, three bouncers appeared. "Escort this gentleman to the alley and don't return until you have collected the 2000 pounds."

As the men grabbed Sir Bernard's arm, he screamed and resisted but they dragged him in the back alley. There was a pause of silence before screams started to fill the air.

"Are they going to kill him?" Edmund frowned. "He is a vile man but he does not deserve death. Besides, you don't want murder on your hands."

"It's not as if I have never murdered before," Caroline said casually. She turned around to stare at him and he met her gaze. "I expect you aren't here for a courtesy visit?" She smiled. "Let's talk inside."

As Edmund walked into the whorehouse, Caroline slit a hand around his waist. Edmund winced but he didn't want to be impolite but merely resisted cringing. Unlike Juliet's warm touch, Caroline's hand was cold and hard.