Embarrassment

After Jasper had left, Juliet returned to her room in high spirits. It was indeed a comfort to see her old friend once again. She looked forward to finding out who was Jasper's future wife.

Suddenly, Sophie rushed up towards her with her cheeks tinged pink.

"Lady Titania!" she gasped, smoothening her skirts frantically.

"Yes?" Juliet raised her eyebrows. It was unusual to see their parlour maid so flustered.

"Lady Titania...well....I...." Sophie's face flushed red. "I..."

"Sophie, be more coherent," Juliet said sternly. What on earth had happened?

"M'lady, please come see for yourself." Sophie lowered her eyes in embarrassment.

Juliet frowned and followed the maid back to the servant's quarters. "Sophie, as far as I can tell, nothing has happened," she laughed. "Has your mind been playing tricks on you?"

"Please open the door, m'lady," Sophie whispered.

Juliet froze. The door Sophie was pointing to led to Cedric Hemsworth, their manservant's room. Impossible. Her sister couldn't be that foolish, could she?

She hesitantly pushed the door open and took a step back in shock.

In plain view, there were two naked bodies entwined together on the shoddy bed. Juliet's eyes widened and she screamed, startling the two people whom were caressing each other.

"M'lady, please be calm," Sophie urged urgently.

"Sister!" Titania gasped. She quickly pulled away from Cedric and grabbed a blanket to protect her modesty. Her face was flushed red and she was panting.

"Titania, how could you do this?" Juliet whispered hoarsely. "You've ruined your future, Titania. Your reputation, your honor, this family's name. You've ruined all of these!"

"Peace, sister." Titania calmed down visibly. "We were just having some fun."

"Cedric, get over here," Juliet hissed as she covered her eyes in frustration.

"Yes, m'am," Cedric answered, putting on his work pants and shirt before scuttling to her side.

"You bastard," Juliet hissed and slapped him.

"M'lady!" Sophie shouted, visibly shocked by her mistress' language but Juliet cared no less about what foul words she was spouting from her mouth. Since this insolent servant dared to take advantage of her sister, she would make him pay for it.

"Get out, this moment," she gritted angrily through her teeth. "Hand over all your belongings and vanish from our sight. Immediately."

"Please, m'am," Cedric begged. His handsome face was dripping with sweat. "I've nowhere to go, m'am if you turn this poor man out."

"You should have considered this before you toyed with my sister," Juliet snapped. "Do you think you can continue living under this house after you've seduced Titania and corrupted her innocence?"

"Her innocence?" Cedric guffawed. "Lady Juliet, you must be blind. Your sister is no angel. She's a devil and she has slept with countless men apart from me."

"Cedric!" Titania rushed forward and slapped him on the face, leaving a red palm mark. "I loved you and this is how you treat me?"

"Love?" Cedric laughed hoarsely. "You played with me. I loved you but you confessed to me last night while you were drunk that you had your eye on a certain Edmund Aughust!"

Juliet froze. Earl Aughust. Edmund Aughust. To think both her sister and her had fallen in love with the same man. How cruel reality was.

"No...no, I didn't," Titania croaked out. She touched Cedric's face tenderly. "I was in a drunken stupor. Must you fault me for being delirious then?" she cooed.

Cedric jerked her hand away. "I won't fall for your lies. Goodbye Titania," he said stiffly and turned to Juliet. "Goodbye Lady Juliet, I will leave this instant."

"Sophie, see him out," Juliet said curtly. She couldn't stand the sight of this liar anymore. Still, he hadn't seemed like the bad sort that cheated women. What had he mentioned about Titania sleeping with other men? That wouldn't be possible, wouldn't it? Her sweet, tender sister couldn't be such a vile woman.

"Yes m'lady," Sophie echoed and pushed Cedric out of the door.

As the door slammed shut, Juliet turned towards her sister and asked softly, "Titania, was what Cedric said true?"

"Which part?" Titania snapped.

"The part about you sleeping with other men."

"It's not true!" Titania said disgustedly. "Sister, how can you doubt me? I slept with Cedric only because I was in love with him?"

Juliet's face softened. Of course, Cedric must be lying. Her sister was pure and innocent. She would never betray anyone like that.

"And the part about you liking Edmund Aughust?"

"What about him?" Titania retorted sharply.

"Do you..." Titania paused. She couldn't bring herself to ask about it. "Do you love him?" she asked half-expectantly. Please, let the answer be no.

There was absolutely no way she would fight with Titania for a man. Putting aside the fact that any men would obviously prefer Titania's beauty, she couldn't risk hurting her sister just to marry a man she loved.

"Love?" Titania scoffed. "There's no such thing."

It was an utterly vague answer that held no real meaning. Juliet knew there was no way of pursuing an actual answer so she let it be.

"Do you understand what this means of you?" She gestured towards the bed. "What if Sir Bernard hears of this?"

"That old bastard?" Titania said crudely, unlike her usual refined self. "He has slept with countless ladies and prostitutes. Why can't women do the same thing? Why do we have to be dominated by men?"

Juliet frowned. "It's rude of you to speak ill of your fiance like that."

"I don't care." Titania rolled her eyes. "Now, sister, assuming you've done your part in driving Cedric away, I would like some time alone. "

"Put on some clothes for decency sake," Juliet muttered before walking out of the door.

"Just go away!" Titania shouted.

As the door slammed shut, a single drop of tear made its way down Juliet's cheek.