Confession

Back to Juliet's POV

Her throat was on fire. "Water, water...." she choked out softly.  

Someone touched her arm briefly and a low, gruff voice sounded out, "Hang in there, Juliet."

There was some cluttering noise before she felt her lips open involuntarily. Cool liquid rushed down her parched throat and she sighed.

"Can you open your eyes, Juliet?"

I don't want to. She was in her happy place and she didn't want to leave the comforting darkness and return back to reality. To a world where she felt constricted and oppressed by everyone.

"Juliet, where did all your fighting spirit go to? Open your eyes, damn it." The person speaking seemed angry.

Who on earth was that? The voice was masculine but familiar. She liked the sound of it though. Opening her cracked lips, she whispered, "Jas...is that you?"

Of course it must be Jasper. Who else could it be? Only Jasper cared about her in that cruel, harsh world.

Juliet heard a sigh before the person spoke again, "I'm not your darling Lord Jasper. I'm Edmund."

Mercy! Her eyes instantly flew open and she found herself staring straight into a pair of emerald green eyes.

"Edmund?" she whispered.

"Thank goodness. I feared that you were dead," he said softly. "You need to sit up and drink some medicine."

Edmund Aughust got up and disappeared from the room before reappearing mere moments later. Holding a bowl and a spoon, he helped her sit up before gently feeding her some of that disgusting green liquid.

"'Tis is vile," Juliet said weakly. "Must I drink this, m'lord?"

"Stop calling me m'lord." Edmund Aughust frowned. "And secondly, you've to drink this. It's to stave off the effects of the poison."

"...Poisoned?" she spluttered.

Edmund Aughust must have seen the shocked look on her face before he quickly explained, "To put it on a more serious note, you've been poisoned and this green liquid was specially brewed by Gisors to counter-effect the poison temporarily so that we can find a cure."

"I thought he said that 'tis was incurable."

"It's not," he growled before his lips relaxed into a smile. "Now, drink this. If not I'm going to get angry."

"Should I be afraid?" Juliet coughed and spots of blood splattered out.

Edmund Aughust's face paled but he regained his composure. "Quick, drink this, before I'm forced to drag your corpse to the morgue," he said this in a serious tone.

Juliet couldn't tell whether he was joking. He had an unusual, wry sense of humor but she appreciated it all the same. Quickly forcing the vile liquid down her throat, she asked, "Where is Jasper?"

Edmund Aughust frowned. "Lord Jasper's at a council meeting."

"Don't you need to be present at the meeting?" Juliet asked, leaning her head against the bed frame. She felt better and more settled after consuming the liquid.

"You're far more important," he said and leant back against the chair.

Juliet observed him for a moment. His face was weary from a lack of sleep and his soft, black hair was ruffled.

"What are you staring at?" he asked, immediately putting his hand on his hair. "Is there something wrong?"

She laughed. "Did you honestly stay here for the entire afternoon?"

Edmund Aughust darted her a strange look. "Juliet. It's morning right now. One entire day just passed."

"I think I'm dying. I can't even tell the time," she groaned.

"Don't say that," he snapped.

"Oh no." Juliet froze.

"What? Do you feel unwell? I can send a messenger right now to find Gisors." Edmund leapt up, his eyes alert and bright.

"No." She shook her head. "I realised that we're in a room alone together without a chaperone."

"Stop worrying about all these nonsense," Edmund retorted in a irritated voice. "That step-mother of yours shouldn't have left you alone to begin with."

"It wouldn't have helped."

"True," he sighed. "With that thick-headed sister of yours, I wouldn't be surprised that she noticed anyone but herself."

"Don't call her that," Juliet snapped. "Titania's my sister. Show her some respect at least on my account. You were childhood playmates at the very least."

Edmund Aughust laughed a deep, throaty laugh. "I was your childhood friend. Not hers. As her sister, surely you would notice that she's too vain for her own good?"

"But..." Juliet cocked her head to the side. "Weren't you interested in her?"

His frown deepened. "What gave you that impression?"

"At the theatre." She blushed. How rude of her to mention such an embarrassing incident! Still, she had already started on the topic. She might as well venture on. "You said that you loved a lady for a decade. Who else could it be but Titania?"

"Juliet." He sighed and leant forward so that he was only mere inches from her face. "You must understand. Not all men are interested in just pretty faces."

Juliet raised her chin defiantly. It took some effort because she was weak physically but she needed to make a point. "I assure you, Edmund, that I've been in society far longer than you. There's no one man who wouldn't want a pretty face."

"I can name you just one exception," he said in a low voice. "Me, for instance."

"Oh, Edmund!" Juliet laughed. Of course, it was uncomfortable to have Edmund so close to her but her body responded to his presence in a rather pleasant way and she rather liked that. He froze, his eyes intent on her.

"What did you just call me?"

"I called you by your name." She frowned. "Unless you prefer me addressing you with your title?"

"No." He smiled. "I like it. You can't imagine how it feels."

By now, Edmund's nose was almost touching hers. It was slightly surprising to see Edmund's playful side. Usually, he was just brooding alone with a scowl on his face.

"I need to tell you a secret," he whispered. "I wasn't talking about Titania at the theatre."

"Then...who?" For a moment, Juliet was afraid to know the answer. Was this a cruel prank he was playing on her? She knew certain men had a sadistic pleasure of toying with women's feelings but she hadn't fancied him to be that sort of a person.

"You," he whispered. "I've loved you ever since we were young."

Juliet couldn't help but smile. Her heart skipped a beat but her mind was whirling. It's true. It's true. He loves me. "I...I'm not convinced," she replied.

Edmund leant in even further.

Is he going to kiss me? It was a really pleasant thought, to be completely honest. Still, what would Mrs Rosewood say of her? She was no different from a harlot!

"Lord Aughust!" Suddenly, the door banged open and Gisors came rushing in. He stopped when he saw them and he bowed. "I'm sorry Lady Juliet and Lord Aughust. I seem to be interrupting something."

"No, no." Edmund coughed and he pulled away somewhat reluctantly. "Do you have news?"

"Yes sir."

"Let's talk outside."

"You should sleep." He nodded at her before leaving the room.

Juliet was stunned. What had just happened?