Household

"I'm Mathilda, head houskeeper of the Aughust household," the woman answered in a clipped voice.

Juliet was slightly stunned and Jasper had to help her down the carriage.

"Lord Jasper, Lady Juliet, the mistress will receive you in the parlor," Mathilda continued brusquely and roughly steered Juliet and Jasper into the house.

As they walked down a carpeted corridor, Juliet stared at the expensive sculptures and paintings in awe. "Jas, do all these belong to Edmund?" she whispered.

"Yes." Mathilda snapped. She had a good ear and Juliet hadn't even realised that she was eavesdropping on their conversation. "All of these are worth more than your life, Lady Juliet."

"Are the servants supposed to be this rude?" Jasper whispered back irritably.

"I've no idea." Juliet shook her head as she struggled to keep pace with Mathilda who seemed to have a fondness of walking fast. She hadn't had a proper servant for eons. Sophie was the only maid they had and she was more like a sister than anything.

As they reach the parlor with the fire glowing at the chimney, Juliet caught sight of Lady Irina looking as exquisite as ever and she immediately felt embarrassed at her own state.

"Lady Irina." She curtsied.

"Pleased to meet you again, Juliet." Lady Irina smiled warmly. "And Lord Jasper, why, you look as handsome as ever."

"You flatter me, Lady Irina," Jasper said charmingly. "You're beautiful, as usual."

Lady Irina laughed. "Now Juliet, Edmund has already explained the circumstances to me," she said in a serious voice. "If the need arises, I will explain to your guardian about your presence here. You need not worry about anything else, my dear. Just recuperate and rest well."

"I don't deserve such kindness." Juliet bowed again.

"You don't have to be so formal with me dearest," Lady Irina said affectionately. "I'm glad that my son is fond of you, to be honest."

Juliet noticed Jasper's scowl deepen but she smiled brightly just to be polite.

"Mathilda, escort the lady to her private chambers," Lady Irina commanded.

"Yes, m'lady."

Mathilda took her by the arm and ushered her down another corridor. Juliet gave Jasper one last affectionate smile and he waved back although he looked slightly troubled.

As they turned around different corridors, Juliet found herself stunned by the sheer monstrosity of the house. Goodness, how does anyone not get lost here?

Finally, they arrived at the door. Mathilda opened it. "Your chambers, Lady Juliet," she said crisply.

"May I know where are Edmund's chambers?"

Mathilda gave her the evil eye. "Lord Edmund's chambers is directly opposite yours." She pointed at the room across them.

"Surely this is improper?" Juliet asked. She didn't know what proper decorum was but it was indeed unusual for an unwed man's room to be so near an unwed woman's one.

"Of course it is." Mathilda sounded offended. "It would due the master no good to dabble with certain women."

The insult stang. Of course, the housekeeper must have thought her unworthy of Edmund's affections.

Mathilda continued, "I told the master that it was best to move your chambers to another wing but he insisted most adamantly. Even Lady Irina allowed it!" She sounded scandalized.

"Thank-you Mathilda," Juliet whispered. "Can you leave me for the moment? I'm afraid I tire easily."

Mathilda made a snorting noise before moving off silently, closing the door behind her.

Juliet sighed and surveyed the room. It was opulent, to put it in simple terms. The curtains were made of the finest Persian silk and the bed was soft and inviting.

She laid on it and closed her eyes, willing herself to sleep.

*****

Juliet stirred during the night. Someone was touching her but...who?

"Mercy!" She gasped and sat up and held up her hand, attempting to punch the intruder in question.

"Juliet, it's just me." Edmund held his hands up. He was sitting on her bed and the moonlight illuminated his features. His emerald green eyes glowed brightly.

"Why are you here?" Juliet whispered. "Don't you know it's unbecoming of you to visit a woman's chambers? What will people say?"

"Fear not." Edmund smiled. "If anyone dares to gossip, I shall fire them."

He yawned and ran his fingers through his messy, brown hair. Juliet found his actions really endearing.

"Are you tired?" she asked quietly.

Indeed, Edmund had always been alert and brooding but seeing his weary and tired self now, it made her happy that only she got to see his vulnerable self.

"Yes." He smiled again. "Though I've to admit that your presence has lifted my spirits."

He wrapped his arms around her. "Is this alright?" he whispered.

Juliet nodded and leant her head against his chest. Normally, she wouldn't condone such improper actions but alas, she felt so safe and warm with Edward that she casted away her doubts.

"Sleep, my dear, I will be by your side," Edmund murmured.

She heeded his words. She drifted off into unconsciousness.