Heavy Words (6)

this is so long! i haven't written this much in a long time..

anyways, enjoyyyy!:)

-votecommentfan-

_______________________________

Sitting down in my desk, preparing myself for first period, I let my eyes wander across the room. They landed on an unfamiliar face. A new kid. 

            He was standing awkwardly in front of the class, his small eyes running across the room in panic. I felt bad for the guy, being here as long as I had was bad enough. I tried to imagine being a new kid... A chill went down my spine. That would not be an experience I would like to endure. 

            His eyes landed on mine and I let myself take in his features for a moment. He was small, about my height, quite scrawny with dirty blonde school boy styled hair and small, bright blue eyes. He smiled at me, thinking I was going to be welcoming. I sighed internally, hoping I wouldn't have to talk to him-

            "Hi! I'm Mason." He said stopping in front of my desk with his hand out-stretched. He had a strong Newfie accent; poor kid was going to get bullied to death at this school. I smiled politely at him. 

            "I'm Amelia," I said while extending my hand and shaking his. His palm was clammy, probably from being so nervous, so when he let go I discretely wiped my hand on my jeans.       "Newfoundland?" I asked him. He nodded and sat down in the empty desk next to me. He coughed and began talking in a normal voice a moment later. 

            "I can disguise my accent though," He said. I raised my eyebrows at his changed voice. "I want to be an actor." He flashed me a golden smile and I couldn't help but laugh at his enthusiasm. 

            "No offense," I started. "But you're really going to need that trick around here. People are especially cruel to new kids at this school and having that accent will just make them harass you more."

            He nodded, "Oh I know. It was the same at my last school." Last school?

            "But didn't you move here from-" I started but he cut me off, laughing slightly. 

            "No, I was born there and lived there until grade eight, when my parents finally decided to move us out to Ontario. We've been changing cities and towns ever since." He told me. 

            "Oh." I said quietly. That accent was still that strong after 3 years? Wow.

            The bell rang loud overhead causing me to jump. Mason laughed at my reaction and I glared at him. 

            "Okay, let's get started. Homework from last class please." Mr. Harris grumbled from the front of the room. I pulled put my hand written sheets, and looked up at Mr. Harris as he passed. He looked at me with a knowing glance, but picked up the homework without hesitation. I knew we had to type it up, but I didn't have a computer. I couldn’t afford one. He already knew about my situation, not about my family but about how I had to work two jobs to pay for the mortgage and electricity bills and everything else.

            “Alright, and everyone, this is Mason. He just transferred here and I expect you to give him a nice welcome.” Mr. Harris after he collected the work. He pushed his glasses up on his nose, and then ran a hand through his thick curly black hair before continuing on from where we stopped last class.

            “Mason, have you read Macbeth?” Mr. Harris questioned Mason. Mason fidgeted in his chair beside me.

            “No sir, I haven’t.” He said while hiding his accent. I felt bad for him... He was always going to have trouble hiding it.