Chapter Two

Chapter Two

“What’s your problem?”

I was sitting at my kitchen table, tapping at my laptop keys angrily, an assignment open in front of me. My mom had just come in from work and noticed my odd behaviour.

“Nothing. Just… Mom, had did you tell if a guy was right for you? I mean, did you just have a feeling when you saw a guy that he was.. Y’know.. The one?” I asked her, sighing in defeat. My mom raised a perfectly plucked blonde eyebrow at me and nodded. My mom didn’t really look a lot like me, especially our hair. She was a natural blonde while I had dark brown, almost black, wavy hair. Her’s was perfectly straight. We had the same nose and eye colour- a greenish brown. We were also around the same height, five foot five, and had the same body type, small boobs, wide hips, big ass. The rest of my facial qualities I got from my non-existent Dad. I still didn’t know his name, where he was from- when they even met. He was a whole mystery to me. I try to believe my mother when she says he’s an asshole- but I feel as if I should at least get to meet him, it is my right to know my own father, right? All I know is that he left my mom when she was 19 and pregnant. It should be a new show, except my mom isn’t a trashy hoe. 

“I thought that way about your father. But sometimes your gut isn’t always right, honey. That’s why you have to make sure he’s the one,” She came over to me and ruffled my hair. I swatted her hand away playfully.

“Like, make sure he fits to everything on my list?” 

“Exactly. That’s what the list is for,” She smiled sweetly at me. “Now will you stop having finger sex with your laptop?”

I rolled my eyes but a smile fell onto my lips. 

“Yes mom.”

Maybe for any other teenager, hearing their mom say the word sex would have them cringing but not me. Me and my mom were basically best friends, and just like Summer and I- I was completely comfortable talking to her about anything. She knew everything about me and that wasn’t about to change. Growing up with one parent wasn’t easy, but it was easier when you had a relationship like me and my mom did.

The phone rang and my mom left her work bags on the table to go and answer it. My mom worked as a publicist to high profile celebrities, giving her a pretty good pay check. We lived in a small one story, tow bedroom, to bath house- but it was big enough for two people, but my mom easily afforded it. We had a lot of money left over that my mom had been putting away into my university fund ever since I was eight. It would provide for four years tuition, but not for much anything else. Books and money for anything else would have to come from my own funds.

“Hey Meredith,” My mom answered cheerfully. I turned away from where she stood, the portable phone in hand, and took my laptop with me, heading to my room down the hall from the kitchen. 

Once I made it there, I sat down on my bed and sat my laptop down in front of me. My room was small, just big enough for a single bed, a dresser and a large bookcase filled with tons of romance novels I’d read in the past. It was painted a light pale green with a white trim and white ceiling. Simple.

I opened a new page on the web and went to facebook, determined to find more about Elijah Taren. Searching furiously through the lists of people that apparently had the same name as him, I finally spotted him. His picture was of himself and a dog. He was making puppy dog eyes at the camera, the dog practically making the same face. My heart melted at the adorable-ness of it all as I clicked on his profile. 

Number Four: He has to love dogs

It sure looked like he did. My heart felt a little lighter as his profile page loaded, slowly because of the shit-tacular  internet connection.